When to replace chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to replace chain

The chain slack is consistent all the way through but I have a few stiff links. It also clicks a little at the front sprocket, a Renthal unit put on sometime in the past. The rear sprocket looks totally fine though the teeth aren't messed up at all, I'll post a pic though in case I'm missing something. The front sprocket definitely needs changing though, the teeth are worn on one side.

Should I just clean the stiff links the best I can to free them up and it'll be fine for a while (because the slack is consistent) or should I replace it now? I don't want it to snap on me, that would be a crappy reason to go down.

Sounds like replacement time soon, sprockets as well. You don't want wear on sprockets with a new chain.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
      Sounds like replacement time soon, sprockets as well. You don't want wear on sprockets with a new chain.
      This...best to just replace it all as a set.
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

How much time/mileage do you think I have left on it? I want to go to the gs meet next weekend and I just paid 300 bucks on a Ricks stator and compu-fire. If I could get another safe 800-1000 miles (two weeks) I would be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
          How much time/mileage do you think I have left on it? I want to go to the gs meet next weekend and I just paid 300 bucks on a Ricks stator and compu-fire. If I could get another safe 800-1000 miles (two weeks) I would be happy.
          Considering you already have sticking links and they are sticking badly enough to catch/jump coming over the front sprocket, I think you are already beyond the prudent point that the chain and sprockets should have been changed. There is no way for us to predict if it will last or break in the next 1000 miles. You're going to have to spend the money now or when you get back. For the peace of mind, I would do it now. If it breaks, the chain can pack up in the sprocket housing and bash a hole in the transmission case. If it does that, the bike is going to be dumping oil on the rear tire and the rear tire will probably be locked up. The bike and you both could be done at that point. Buy the chain and sprockets, its cheaper and less painful than an ambulance ride.
          Last edited by earlfor; 07-07-2012, 01:38 AM.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

When you perform this absolutely necessary replacement, be sure and align the rear wheel properly. Wear on the side of a sprocket is an indicator of improper alignment, and will accelerate chain wear. Lots of articles on the web on how to do this essential task.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              When you perform this absolutely necessary replacement, be sure and align the rear wheel properly.
              Wear on the side of a sprocket is an indicator of improper alignment, and will accelerate chain wear.
              Lots of articles on the web on how to do this essential task.
              Put the spacer on the outside of the C/S sprocket.

Comment

Oh, when I said they're worn on one side I meant the sprocket teeth (when looking at the side) are worn down in the front where the rollers contact it.

I was looking more closely at the rear sprocket and it looks like there are a few teeth that a little pointy so I guess I should replace that too . Also, is the xring chain from Z1 really worth the extra cost? I see 108 link 530 oring chains for $50-80 online while the Z1 chain is ~$100.

Front sprocket: The wear isn't that bad but the profile is different on one side of the tooth

Rear: there a few that are getting pointed

Comment

Something looks really weird/wrong with that rear sprocket and I can't put mu finger on it.
                  Regardless of the wear.
                  Like why is there flashing sticking out?
                  Was the chain replaced and the old rear sprocket re-used?
                  It looks like the links were really stretched and the chain on it now doesn't show that.

Hopefully someone else has seen that before.

Eric
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2012, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Take my word for it, those sprocket teeth are HORRIBLY misshaped.
                    They are not supposed to look anything remotely like that. You need new sprockets BADDD!!! The teeth are supposed to be square on the ends and clean cut and even the valleys are smushed and misshaped. yes, get the better chain. It will last three or four times longer than the cheap stuff. And for cripes sake, when you intall the chain with the bike on the centerstand, adjust the chain so that there is 1 1/2 to 2" of up/down total movement in the middle of the lower chain run. The quickest way to destroy a new chain and sprockets is to install the chain too tightly.
                    Last edited by earlfor; 07-08-2012, 12:49 AM.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I don't know the history behind these. I have a feeling the PO used the old rear sprocket and put on a new chain and front sprocket. I don't know if it was ever cleaned either, when I got the bike it was filthy and coated with grease and grime. It looked like it just had some lube sprayed on it every once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                        Something looks really weird/wrong with that rear sprocket and I can't put mu finger on it.
                        Regardless of the wear.
                        Like why is there flashing sticking out?
                        Was the chain replaced and the old rear sprocket re-used?
                        It looks like the links were really stretched and the chain on it now doesn't show that.

Hopefully someone else has seen that before.

Eric
                        It is because the chain is so stretched that it is starting to miss bearing primarily on the teeth and is crushing down that hard in the valleys, and it has been severely overtightened.

Comment

Interesting . I don't know what the chain slack was set to when I bought it (didnt check) but I have been setting it to an 1.5 inches on the lower chain run. When I cleaned the chain for the first time before I took off the rear wheel I don't remember a whole lot of play so I'm betting it was set way too tight. Ugh.

I'll be ordering from Z1 again, maybe I'll get another sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                            Interesting . I don't know what the chain slack was set to when I bought it (didnt check) but I have been setting it to an 1.5 inches on the lower chain run. When I cleaned the chain for the first time before I took off the rear wheel I don't remember a whole lot of play so I'm betting it was set way too tight. Ugh.

I'll be ordering from Z1 again, maybe I'll get another sticker.
                            Well, look at it this way. I know its money, but with the drive train, its really a choice of your money or your ass. Losing money is one thing, but literally losing your......... well, I think you can see where this is going. heh I'm sure Jeff will be agreeable to coughing up another sticker. LMAO

Comment

Working...
                            X