so i pulled apart my spare engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so i pulled apart my spare engine

and here is what i found...also the cam caps had scuffing on all 4...is that normal?

i think ex. valve number 4 dont look to healthy lol...it flakes off..like it had water in it or something...all 4 plugs were normal condition...

turns over just fine...ill probably just do the upper end on this motor...how often to bottom ends go bad?..anything i need to check down there?

yes thats red sillycone too...why its there..do i wanna know?

Any pic's of the camshaft/cap damage?

Eric

Comment

Also, just so you KNOW, anyone that uses that orange silicone like in those pics, is a HACK mechanic! Ray.

Comment

Looks like a classic case of zero valve clearance.
        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

its there becasue the big rectangular oringb thats supposed to be there either wasnt or was reused . Just think how much washed around in that engine. Be sure to blow and flush all the oil galleys REAL well.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            Also, just so you KNOW, anyone that uses that orange silicone like in those pics, is a HACK mechanic! Ray.
            LOL... Aman

Comment

is a HACK mechanic!
              Speaking of HACK mechanic's, did the guy that screwed the WRONG threaded bolt into that evil guy,
              screen name of NOS, carb bodies ever apologize to him for screwing up his carbs?
              Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2012, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Have you asked Chef? He is the one that did that. It was an honest mistake. Try getting your facts correct before starting crap Eric. You seem to be as smart as a football bat. Ray.

Comment

ill get pics of the damage tommorow..im taking a day off today..but i have one more spare motor...but i dont see no sillycone anywhere on it...so i figured hopefully it wasnt hacked into..and was gonna keep it complete in case my running one on my bike would decide to quit...

ill drop the oil pan tommorow...is it kinda like a standard say small block? as far as caps and what not

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    Also, just so you KNOW, anyone that uses that orange silicone like in those pics.
                    .....owns a tube of orange silicon....

Did that thing ever run after it was rebuilt?
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post

ill drop the oil pan tommorow...is it kinda like a standard say small block? as far as caps and what not
                      As in looking a main and rod bearings...? No

Look for junk in the oil filter hole and any other out of the way place in the motor ....

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                        Speaking of HACK mechanic's, did the guy that screwed the WRONG threaded bolt into that evil guy,
                        screen name of NOS, carb bodies ever apologize to him for screwing up his carbs?
                        What Eric? No more stupid accusations?!!! Must be rough only opening your mouth to change feet! Ray.

Comment

quit fighting ...AND NO YELLING ON THE THREAD...heh

oil pan/filter comes off tommorow

Comment

Oil pan removal will only get you a look at the trans & shift forks. If you want to look at bearings, you will have to split the cases. Ray.

Comment

Lets him clean the pick up screen too.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X