wet method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wet method?

What is the wet method for checking compression? Is it as simple as ading some oil to the piston chamber?
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Yes, it will slow ring leakage, but do nothing for bad valves, so you can tell which you have.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That's correct, if you have low compression it can point you in the right direction such as rings or valves. IMO it's of little use though, if the compression is below limits on a hot, dry cylinder your still going to need to correct the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by bbjumper View Post
        That's correct, if you have low compression it can point you in the right direction such as rings or valves. IMO it's of little use though, if the compression is below limits on a hot, dry cylinder your still going to need to correct the problem.
        Nice to know whether you'll need to pull the jugs or just the head.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
          Nice to know whether you'll need to pull the jugs or just the head.
          Pulling just the head is risky. There's a good change the base gasket will be disturbed, leading to a leak soon after you put everything back together.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
            Pulling just the head is risky. There's a good change the base gasket will be disturbed, leading to a leak soon after you put everything back together.
            +1 Only thing worse than having to do this job is doing it twice.

Comment

Why wouldn't you replace the head gasket to be on the safe side?
              -Mark
              Boston, MA
              Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
              sigpic
              1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
                Why wouldn't you replace the head gasket to be on the safe side?
                I would, both

Comment

Working...
                X