Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Change question.

Hello,

I own a 1980 gs850L and I just changed the oil Friday night, I rode the bike to work yesterday and all seemed well, Till I went to ride it home yesterday afternoon, It jumped and went dead like I did not pull the clutch in, I started it up and it was still pulling a little. I rode it home adjusting on the cable to try to correct the issue. However it stopped acting like that and is slipping under heavy power. I did some looking on here and found out that I should not have used Casrol GTX car motor oil. So my question is I am going to go buy motorcycle oil today and change it again, Do I need to flush out the crank case or will draining and adding new be enough to stop the sliping I and Having?

Thanks

It's probably not the oil, unless you used an "energy conserving" weight like 10W-30, 5W-30, etc.

Lots of people are using 10W-40 or 20W-50 Castrol car oil with no problems whatsoever.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Rotella diesel oil is the forum favorite. It has more high pressure addivitves than auto oil, and is much cheaper than motorcycle oil.

Sometimes the clutch will react differently with different oils. I'd make sure the cable is adjusted with the proper amount of freeplay. If it still slips, most likely the clutch springs are getting old. I'd change the springs straight away unless you used some thin auto oil like mentioned by bwinger, in which case I'd change both the springs and oil then.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Oil Change Question

OK, So I went and bought motorcycle oil to replace the GTX I put in because I never had clutch issues till the very second I put the oil in and it fix the problem. It was 100% for sure the Castrol GTX causing my clutch to slip, And judging by the performance of the bike. The oil that was in it was car oil also, because the clutch grabs better now than it ever has in the few months I have had it.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by javamotorsports View Post
          OK, So I went and bought motorcycle oil to replace the GTX I put in because I never had clutch issues till the very second I put the oil in and it fix the problem. It was 100% for sure the Castrol GTX causing my clutch to slip, And judging by the performance of the bike. The oil that was in it was car oil also, because the clutch grabs better now than it ever has in the few months I have had it.

Thanks again.
          What weight oil was the GTX?
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Oil

10W-40 Castrol GTX. I know it sounds crazy because I have a friend that owns three GS1100 that is all he runs, But mine was real bad at first it would jump like I forgot to pull the clutch when putting it in gear. Then it slipped bad going down the road. I did not think I was going to make it home. The thing I could not understand is I never had any issues before the oil change. I drained that GTX out and added Valvoline Motorcycle oil and Perfect.

Comment

Makes no sense to me. I have in the past and know several who have used GTX with no issues, IMO the oil isn't the cause.

Comment

I agree that it makes no sense, however it works perfect now with valvoline motorcycle oil. I also have a buddy that used GTX for years, All I know this GS is my daily driver and never had any clutch issues till the oil change was done. I then drained out the oil and replaced it and been working fine....... I have read so that the friction modifiers cause slipping of clutches. oh well..... GS is on the road a pulling hard....

Comment

Originally posted by javamotorsports View Post
                  I agree that it makes no sense, however it works perfect now with valvoline motorcycle oil. I also have a buddy that used GTX for years, All I know this GS is my daily driver and never had any clutch issues till the oil change was done. I then drained out the oil and replaced it and been working fine....... I have read so that the friction modifiers cause slipping of clutches. oh well..... GS is on the road a pulling hard....
                  As far as I know, the only Castrol GTX that does NOT have friction modifiers is the 20w50. Because of that, 20w50 is the only GTX I used in the bike all those years.
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X