gs cold pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs cold pipes

hi i am new to the site and had a question on a gs550l the #2 cyl header pipe is only reading 120 degrees after a half hr running #1 is around 160 but 3 and 4 are right around 240--250 degrees . its a 1985 model with two carbs and i cleaned em up but no change !!! the compression is 150 lbs on 1,2,&4 but #3 is only 90 lbs is this a air leak or a valve or head gasket problem ? thanks for any insight

To clarify..... #1 pipe is on extreme left as you sit on bike???
    Have you pulled spark plugs to see if they are wet or dry?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

How did you "clean" the carbs?

Have you done the other basic maintenance, like valve adjustment?

How do the plugs look? Wet? Dry? New?

My guess is that the valves are out of adjustment and the carbs need to be cleaned properly and adjusted.

If this bike is new to you, it likely needs a LOT of other work, like brakes, tires, electrical connector cleaning, etc.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the carbs were stripped down and soaked for a few hours and then washed reassembled and installed , the only adjustments i saw were idle air or pilot screws on top and i seated them than backed off 1.5 turns . everything else on bike is cherry ,the po put new sprockets and chain ,new tires and new battery but i bought it running like this cheap ! and yes the # 2 cyl is second from left ,thats the cold one

Comment

plugs were all black and dry

Comment

Hi babes.

Tricky problemo....
            But nothing more than a 30 year old bike throws at us all from time to time...

Try this...
            If you put a small amount ov oil into the cylinders to do another compression test and if the readings are higher... Its your piston rings, if its no higher, it could be valves or a shim (too big).
            Could be carburation (blocked jets or airways, stuck needle valve, damaged float, needle set too low.
            Could be a fuel restriction ov some kind (fuel tap partially blocked, ruptured diaphram or inline filter (if fitted, too small or partially blocked.
            Could be the ignitor box (if auto ignition is fitted)...
            Maybe condensor (if points are fitted)

Hmmm, maybe some loose connection somewhere.
            ...dirty fuel maybe.
            Possibly an over-oiled pod (if fitted)
            blown spark plug...
            HT leads cracked or damaged (try snipping off a few mm's back to good braiding.)
            Cracked inlet manifold (even a tiny hole) or the littpe screw that you undo to attach a carbtune vacume guage onto to balance the carbs could be a little bit loose or not sealing properly.
            ...... Not sure if theres owt else i can say really.

Good luck getting your hands good and dirty.
            Get a manual or check out the forum for online copies.
            Take it slow and steady.and youll get there.

Xxx
            Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Did i scare him off?

Xxx

Comment

Us Lumpy-jumpered Spanner Monkeys can be very intimidating....

..not sure why.
                Ahem.....

im off to scare someone else...

Xxx

Comment

not scared , just busy ;] i put new plugs in it and adjusted the valves seems better now but still hiccuping around 7k im gonna ride a bit more and see if it clears up anymore. Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Originally posted by svrider View Post
                    . Thanks for the help guys
                    ......... And us Lumpy Jumpered Spanner Monkeys........

Xxxx

Comment

gs cold pipes

ok guys this bike is odd ,it ran great for 3 days but stalled on thruway 2 miles from my house on my way to work and i had to push it home and take the sv to work (so i could make up time) it woulnt start at all on thruway and when i got home after work tried to start it and wouldnt run off choke . I pulled plugs and they are a little darker than tan and they all still have a blue spark . I then started the bike and let it run on choke for a bit and noticed the #3and#4 cyl header pipes cold ! Pulled plugs again and #3 and#4 were wet . Is it possible the coil or cdi box is breaking up under load and how would i test that ? i am at a loss here any insight would be helpful ,thanks again

p.s. when it was running right the bike is a blast

Comment

Replace your carb plugs, some times they leak and yield to low combustion temps.

Comment

Have you synchronized the carbs?
                          sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

When I cleaned the carbs I painted the Welch plugs with appliance touch up paint (something an old timer tought me years ago ) and I never had a problem before . And this bike has the two throttle slides per Carb, I didn't see a adjustment to sync them, all I did was turn the idle air screw 1.5 turns out on all carbs, am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by svrider View Post
                              When I cleaned the carbs I painted the Welch plugs with appliance touch up paint (something an old timer tought me years ago ) and I never had a problem before . And this bike has the two throttle slides per Carb, I didn't see a adjustment to sync them, all I did was turn the idle air screw 1.5 turns out on all carbs, am I missing something?
                              There is an adjustment screw with locknut on the front of the carbs, in between them. It is slightly to the right of the throttle cable.

You will need to follow the steps in the carb adjustment series on BassCliff's site.

It is nice that for these, you only have one screw to adjust, not three like most of us do.
                              sigpic

SUZUKI:
                              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Working...
                              X