Difficult to shift to neutral when stopped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Buffalo Bill,
    So I did some searching for "tiny ball" and "shift ball" and got about 30 threads each. In the interest of saving time could you point me to it?
    Thanks

Comment

Had the same problem, when I checked the clutch springs found 3 of them non standard and longer. Ordered and replaced with 6 new stock ones and problem went away. May slightly do it when bike is cold but when the oil warms up should not have anymore problems.

Regards
      GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
      1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
      1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RKM50 View Post
        To Buffalo Bill,
        So I did some searching for "tiny ball" and "shift ball" and got about 30 threads each. In the interest of saving time could you point me to it?
        Thanks
        I found it: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...hlight=neutral
        When you do a search, use advanced search and select titles only for your word. I used “neutral”.

And of course there's plenty of debate in this thread…
        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 07-15-2012, 07:03 AM.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Thanks Buffalo Bill for that link.
          One other thing I have noticed is when the clutch cable is adjusted properly when cold it gets tight when the engine is hot. I assume this is because the clutch plates expand and take up any slack in the cable. Should the cable be adjusted with engine cold or hot?

Comment

Well you use it when it's hot, so tweak it when it's hot, if it needs a tweak.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

When it's hot, do you mean the clutch is tight - as in grabby and hard to find neutral - or the cable is tight - as in zero end play on the clutch lever?
              My experience is that I get more end play on the lever when everything heats up and expands a bit.
              - Also, I'm pretty sure you have aftermarket steels at least, and probably fibers too. Using the bikes I've worked on in the past as reference, the Suzuki steels were dimpled as pictured above.
              -1980 GS1100 LT
              -1975 Honda cb750K
              -1972 Honda cl175
              - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by RKM50 View Post
                Turns out the bike sat for 6 years and had more gas in the crankcase than oil.
                You should look into your petcock too. It either has a bad diaphragm and is leaking through cylinder #2 or just doesn't seal anymore and is leaking gas into the cylinders when parked.
                -1980 GS1100 LT
                -1975 Honda cb750K
                -1972 Honda cl175
                - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

When the engine is hot the play at the clutch lever goes away. I had installed new fiber plates recently.

The petcock seems to work. It has three positions, off, no gas flowing.
                  On, gas flows only when engine is running and reserve, gas flows with engine running or not. Is that correct? It's not leaking so I hate to take it off and mess with it. It may have sat in the reserve position all those years, I don't know.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2012, 01:40 PM.

Comment

That's how it's supposed to work, but keep checking the crankcase to be sure

Comment

Working...
                    X