No announcement yet.

Clicking noise coming from the chain at front sprocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tensioners are both on the same setting. I haven't noticed the noise while riding at all, I only noticed it once I started spinning the rear wheel by hand.

As I spun it with the cover off, it seems like the noise is just from the chain coming in contact with the sprocket. It doesn't seem to be catching the side of the sprocket or anything...

So what are the practical differences between the o-ring chain, x-ring chain, and solid roller chain? I plan on rebuilding the bike over the winter and will probably replace the chain and sprockets then.

Comment

Take the chain off and check for stretch
      I bet it actually past its wear limit.

Comment

It is just how the roller pins in links are sealed I think.

In a standard roller chain there aren't any seals to hold the lubrication around the roller pins so it requires more maintenance.

Oring chains have a little tiny o-ring around the end of the roller pins that keep the good stuff (lube) in and the bad stuff (dirt) out.

Same thing with the X ring but I think the seal is a little different.

Basically with chains the more you can keep them lubed and cleaned the better they work and longer they last.

The different types of seals just help to keep them lubed and dirt out of the moving bits. Less dirt means less friction and less wear on the metal.

Comment

Working...
        X