Cylinder O-ring replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder O-ring replacement

I am rebuilding the top end of my 1978 gs750. I ordered replacement cylinder o-rings, but I am not sure how to go about replacing them, or if I need to replace them. Could someone give me some advice on how to remove the old ones and install the new? Or is it something that I don't need to mess with. The old ones are not in bad shape...

Dig them out with a dental pick or similar. On my 850, a couple were still soft, a couple came out in hard little pieces. Stuff the new ones in with a blunt screwdriver, or a stick, or some other thing that won't tear them.

What those o-rings actually accomplish, I'm not sure.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Worms!

I think its just a final /additional seal to keep oil out of your cylinders/pistons. I did not even know they were in there ...but when I had my engine apart and used the very potent aircraft stripper(paint remover) and coated the cylinder to prep them for painting.....all of a sudden all these little squiggly worms started coming out from around the cylinder walls! I had thoroughly melted those o rings! lol
      They sure were easy to remove. lol

Comment

Thanks for the help! I like to know what to expect, and now I do!

Comment

Working...
        X