finally replacing the chain and sprockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally replacing the chain and sprockets

i have been putting off replacing the chain and sprockets, they arnt horrible but i dont want to wait until they are. i have changed them since i got the bike and i have had it for about a year and a half. its the 1978 suzuki gs550.i am not sure if it has already been converted to 530 but that is the setup that i am going with just want to know what size sprockets i should go to, i live in the city so i do some city riding but i also like to do stretched out riding in the country areas that dont have many stops signs and have nice long and twisty roads. thank you

I just did my GS 750T over the weekend. It was pretty painless only the riveting of the master link was a little cumbersome. I was told by fellow GS'ers to call Z1 and tell the techs what you have and they will look up specs and let you know exactly what you need- I went from 15/41 teeth to 18/49 with 115 link 530- runs really smooth now as well.
    Have fun with it!

Comment

thank you for the help. it looks like a pretty simple job. i will have to call them. i was looking at a simple ordinary 530 chain with the sunstar front and rear sprockets.

Comment

Your Welcome! One note my front sprocket had plate with three screws in it-
        The new sprocket came with a 6mm spacer and I was told that you don't need the plate from the old one on your new one, some type of balancer- just the 6mm spacer, the lock tab and nut.
        I chose to rivet instead of the locking clip master link- just didn't look sturdy to me.

Comment

They are fine actually. I have a Harley friend/mechanic that makes me smear black automotive weatherstripping adhesive on the link clip. It takes a real effort to get that stuff off, so the clip is never going to fall off. It is not affected even slightly by anything you put on the chain.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I wouldn't think too much about ratio sizes, it''ll drive you crazy, lol.
            Just do a straight conversion, unless you're unhappy with the factory ratios.

Comment

Working...
            X