Clutch sticking gs550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch sticking gs550

Hey guys new member here with a question... Ok so I have a 1980 gs550, it's my first bike bought off my buddy all stock and just got done bobbering it out. Only took me about a month and I'm happy with it, however, when I bought it I noticed the clutch lever would stick kinda bad at a dead stop trying to start moving. I figured it may be the lever so I took it off cleaned the whole thing of all the gunk and cleans just the top of the cable (where it connects to the lever). Still didn't work, next I started to mess with the play on the lever tighter and looser nothing seems to fix this. To be honest I thought instantly it was the lever or maybe the cable itself I'm really not to sure. I also loosened the nut where the cable goes into the engine, seemed to work a little bit if I had a lot of play in the lever. But after a day of riding its back to the same.
    I read some where on here that u can lube the whole clutch cable?

Anyone having a similar problem... It's not real serious it shifts all gears fine it's just annoying revving the shot put of the motor And basically poppin the clutch to not stall it. Thanks guys I have pics of the bobber once I figure out how to put them up!

You need to correctly adjust the clutch cable first, there's tons of threads on it but I'll make it easy.

1. Adjust at the lever for the most slack. Adjust at the sprocket cover so its slack.

2. Take off the front cover (there should be 3-4 screws, use an impact tool or you'll likely strip them).

3. Loosen the lock nut on the worm gear. Use a small flathead driver on the worm gear and adjust it in until it contacts the clutch rod (you'll feel it) then back it off 1/4 turn and tighten locknut.

4. Adjust cable at the sprocket cover until you see it barely move the worm gear, back off slightly and tighten down. You don't want it engaging the clutch or it'll slip.

5. Adjust at the lever and you're done.

Also, I'm sure you put on different bars since you bobbed it so make sure the clutch cable isn't binding and lube it too. If none of this helps then you may have to replace the clutch springs, but it's pretty easy and they're cheap.

Comment

Awesome thanks a lot I will try that and let you know the outcome!

Comment

So I ended up adjusting the cable at the engine and then at the lever and I finally got it to where it needs to be... Well see if it stays that way.... Thanks for the help!

Comment

i know my cable was really sticky and i noticed there is a nipple for a grease gun, loaded it with grease and it works like buttah now

Comment

the nipple for the grease gun was under the cover for the clutch adjustment, but i have a 78 gs550

Comment

Working...
            X