Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It leaks oil. Need good advice fast, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It leaks oil. Need good advice fast, please!

Yeah. The green machine got a bit of a workout today, and after a couple of hours of various riding (town, back road, highway), I noticed a few drops on the road, in front of the side stand. The leak got worse fast, and what was a little drip was almost a flow an hour later. I parked it.

The fluid seemed to come from the base of the leftmost cylinder (#1?), and it would run down onto the stator cover. The gasket sticks out a little all around, and right in the corner it looks torn, but I don't know if that signifies anything.

It could be the Stator cover gasket, as well, but as I don't know I wanted to get your advice before starting what might be a big job.

Please guys; I have a DMV appointment on monday: Look at the pics and see if you can help me guess where the leak is, and whether you think it's plausible to fix in three days (mostly on my own), assuming I can get the gaskets and o-rings and anything else I might need (not impossible; I have a good parts dealer within reach). For instance if I had to take everything out to replace the cylinder base gasket...?

There's also a leak (or at least sweating) by the cam chain tensioner thingy:

Is there hope? Can I ride it the hour to get the plates without sorting this out? Can I fix it in time?

I am ready to go to work, but if there's no chance, I will just call DMV and postpone the appointment...

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2012, 08:39 AM.

Stator gasket no problem- but if it's coming from the cylinder base- that gasket is going to need replaced. This means the head and jugs have to come off. Might as well do the head gasket whilst in there. You can keep going and do the pistons and re hone the cylinders. I'd say go as far in there as your budget will allow. Isolate that drip- put your rag at the highest point and you'll know when you find it.
    Looking at those pics and with the paint I can't discern- but everywhere there is that grease build up more than likely a leak- if it's a running leak don't drive it- a drip- carry oil with you, but I'd address it sooner than later.
    Given a day to get your parts- if you worked steady- and you know your way around- you could do that in 2 days. If something goes south on you though like breaking a bolt or dropping something in the crankcase- that could easily destroy your time frame- work diligently and very carefully- take breaks.
    Second pic from the bottom looks like cylinder base gasket.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Hehe - I know, that was what I was thinking. I was planning to "go deep" this winter, but if I have the head and cylinders off and don't have time for the "might as well" jobs, would it be plausible in three good workshop days?

Comment

I'd say yes for 3 days with all parts.

Comment

Is it just me or is that tensioner on upside down?

Comment

Ha- unless the camera was upside down, I think your right!

Comment

Hm. Putting that in the right way is on the agenda, then. What can have gone wrong having it upside down? It was like that when I got it, so it has gone all my miles and unknown miles before me...

I'm going for a full gasketectomy then. Everything off, and then back in with clean gaskets and rings. I was really thinking I'd have time to get some of that black off, but that'll have to wait.

And tensioner the right way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
                I'd say yes for 3 days with all parts.
                Cool. Doing it.

Comment

Could be the tensioner leaking, and then the oil running down.

Best to clean the bike to remove all the oil, then dry. Spray engine degreaser or a pressure washer work well. After the bike drys spray it all around with some talc foot powder spray to coat the engine, including the tensioner area, with white powder. Then start up the bike and watch for where the leak is coming from.

Three days is plenty to do all the gaskets. Biggest pain in the butt is scraping the old gaskets. On caution though; aftermarket gaskets suck big time. Especially the green Athena gaskets. Stay clean of those or you will be tearing down the engine twice.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Go get it! Hell I guess if it worked that long who could say!
                    Get your curse words in good order- I use a lot of them, but never run out!!!

Comment

OK. Tomorrow morning I go for it.

Comment

Did you clean it to make sure you are taking the right parts apart?
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I will of course not take everything off before verifying with witnesses that it is last resort, but thanks for the concern.

Comment

i just had to change some valves in my 1100gl. put it all back together with new gaskets and it appears that it is leaking oil from the head gasket, its a pretty damn bad leak. is it possible that the head or anything could be warped? is that a common problem at all, or is it that maybe i didn't clean the surfaces well enough? just curious as to what your opinion is.

Comment

Leak is definitely from the cylinder base.
                              The carbs and cam cover are off, next is the top.
                              I'll do some thorough cleaning while I'm in. Carbs inside and out.
                              Try to get some black off the heads and cylinders and some shine in.

I'm having fun, but I guess the tricky bits are ahead of me.

Comment

Working...
                              X