What have I done wrong now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What have I done wrong now?

I recently got new rings for my GS1100G's engine, plus new seals in the valves and had the vales reseated. I put the engine back together, shimmed the valves, got it all together and running only to discover that the base gasket was leaking. Don't worry, I did use all Suzuki gaskets. I found a bit of old gasket that I had missed and scraped it off, so hopefully no leaks now.

So after taking it all apart again I have put it back together now. I just put the crank at TDC, buttoned down the camshafts and installed the cam tensioner only to find that now the crank won't turn over. It will go about 1/2 way and stop with an ominous clunk if I turn it over with a wrench. I was meticulous about lining everything up as per the manual - this is the second time I have done this now!

I am sure it is in neutral. The neutral light even comes on if I turn the ignition on. What have I done wrong??

First check is to re-check your timing. Then check it again.

Plus was the cam chain 'tight' when you set it (not slopping about down the bottom)?
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Sounds to me that you may be a tooth or 2 off on a cam and are hitting a valve??? DONT FORCE IT till you recheck it all again!!!!!!
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Oh no I will not force it! Thanks guys - will check the timing again tomorrow. It was embarrassing how many times I counted the links already. It's late here now so it will have to be tomorrow which I find annoying. I like to get things done and hate having to leave things half done.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
          Oh no I will not force it! Thanks guys - will check the timing again tomorrow. It was embarrassing how many times I counted the links already. It's late here now so it will have to be tomorrow which I find annoying. I like to get things done and hate having to leave things half done.
          I hate it to but sometimes it's best to just leave it.When you get back to it you see what as wrong right away about 80% of the time.

Comment

Did you install the rings correctly and distribute the gaps to their respective off sets?
            Timing set correctly? Ensure your not 180 degrees out.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2012, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Ring Orientation, if Top and 2 are on wrong- the piston may not move. How long was it running before you experienced the trouble?
              Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2012, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Ring orientation?
                What does that have to do with the valves hitting the pistons?

Eric

Comment

SVSooke - you are of course absolutely right. I hadn't got to the point of no return though - I had to stop as my wife needed me to come in and cook dinner. :-) It's our sunday night thing.

It's Monday morning here and I'm about to head out on a job. But I did have time to check that yes I have the bike in neutral. The rear wheel moves freely. I am sure that I got everything lined up just right, but will be happy to be proven wrong. Right now I can't get the crank back to TDC but the cams are lined up again how the diagram says, with "2" on the exhaust cam and "3" on the input cam being dead vertical in relation to the engine. So I think the crank is at 180 degrees to TDC now. It's just past this point it goes clunk.

Could the cam chain be caught on something?

Comment

He said he couldn't rotate the crank- something is seized or jammed.
                    Hence the pistons and rings/orientation.

Comment

Well kinda - the crank moves but only about 90 degrees or so.

Comment

If you can't free it- the safest and saddest thing is take it down again.
                        Sucks I know- A good rest as one said to reevaluate it all a good idea too.
                        Did you try rotating the crank with all the plugs removed?
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2012, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Have you tried removing the cam chain tensioner, remove the cams and set it again?
                          After holding tension on the cam chain by hand while rocking the crank back and forth to make certain the chain is right.

Eric

Comment

This is the bike with the RS flatslides? Get yourself a dial indicator and degree wheel and do it properly, learn something while you are at it. Gain some more power and knowledge.

Comment

Hey Jimmy R, put up your location, its possible an experienced GS'er is close to you and would swing by to help out. It happens all the time.
                              good luck, I am about to rebuild my 1100, and as sure as you are checking and doublechecking everything, I will be too. I am sure your problem will show itself soon enough.
                              Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X