Getting no 'Giddy up'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting no 'Giddy up'

I was hoping to be at the tail end of my bike maintenance but it looks like I've got something else to figure out.

Quick reference:
    I've rebuilt the carbs with the help of another member here and sync them. Bike seemed to be running well and I even did a lap or two on a local cul de sac here.

Now, when I put the bike into 1st gear she don't go.
    I hear the clutch level click, I see the indicator on my 1100EZ move to 1 but I don't get any movement. I tried 2nd gear as well just to see if I could have burned out one of them somehow, though I don't know how likely that is.

Here as some other interesting facts...
    Even in gear the bike rolls backward. Does this mean that my clutch isn't engaging even though I hear that click? DO I need to go opening the basket?

Also, I had the bike up on a stand I have here and when put in gear the rear wheel did spin. I wonder what that means. Thought I'd mention it.

I can't put the bike up on the stand again because the new exhaust won't allow me to, so I'm going to have to modify the lift some in order to do that in the future.

Lastly, for full disclosure... the only thing I did recently was spray the chain with some Liquid Wrench chain lube. I don't think I did anything wrong or if the front sprocket was actually slipping I'd think I would hear something, which I don't. I can't quite see in there so I don't know what condition it's in.

Oops, one more - I do have a bit too much oil in there I think (Rotella T 15W40). I should def remove some but have yet to do it. Could this cause that much slippage?

Anyhow if anyone has any suggestions please speak up.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2012, 02:12 PM.

Did some more testing. Does this make sense?

I sat on the bike for a while fiddling around with the controls. One of the things we had adjusted was a very look Clutch cable.

My theory now is that the cable was in fact too tight and not allowing the clutch to slip into position after I released the clutch lever. I loosened the cable near the hand grip and I think that's solved the problem.

I did want to hear from some others if they think this makes sense or if there could be more to my problem. I don't really want to find out while I'm riding.

Thanks.

Comment

if the cable was adjusted up to tight then that would cause your problem. you need to have 2-3 mm of free play on the lever
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
      X