Valve seal tool for the GSs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve seal tool for the GSs.

We are doing the 78 750E that i donated to the Harvest Classic as the auction bike this year and we need a part number for the valve seal tool or a place we can get one ASAP. You guys keep an eye out in October to see what my bike brings at the auction! Framed her off and redoing her from top to bottom. Got the OEM engine gasket kit from Suzuki, gonna have all new valves, seals, rings, new swing arm bearings...the full monty rebuild. Gonna be a stunner!!
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

22 looks and noone?? OK then, anyone have pics of a home made one i can copy? I have seen several different ones online but dont know which one to get.
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck,

What is a "valve seal tool"?

BTW, before you spend money on new valves you might want to find someone with a facing tool; a freshly faced valve will be just as good as new so you can save money.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i just smear them with oil and gently tap them on the guides with a suitable size socket. never had a problem yet
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          i just smear them with oil and gently tap them on the guides with a suitable size socket. never had a problem yet
          On this, Agemax and I agree.

Comment

10mm 12pt socket works perfectly.

Comment

REMOVAL TOOL...To get the hardened up ones ( stem seals ) OFF the valve guides...I know just about anything will slip the new ones on.
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-27-2012, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I use the small right angle pick to push the retaining ring down then used the pick to pull the the seals up from the bottom.
                I think you can just use needlenose pliars and rip them out...hardened or not, they should come off pretty easy.

Comment

Simple solution to make all of your lives much easier,
                  buy this set of pliers http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...ers-37909.html
                  and heat the end, bend it 100 degrees and grind//heat/crimp the tips to get closer together.
                  Perfect!

7/32" deep socket for installation )IIRC)

Eric

Comment

I just used a set of needle nosed vice grips. Grab on and gently pull and twist and the same time. Some are rougher to get out than others. Patience is the key.

Comment

I confess to being a bit confused on the terminology being used here. I understand what you want, Chuck, you want to remove the old valve stem seals from the head. They were supple rubber, now they are hard as a rock.
                      The guides themselves are pressed into the casting of the head. What you really want to do is to remove the old seals from the casting, correct? Not trying to be a grammologist here, I have only done Kaw heads, but the GS was supposedly a copy of the Kaw 8 valve engine.
                      When I did mine I just used a homemade spring compressor to remove the valve stem keepers (or locks, call them what you wish), removed the retainers (on top of the valves), the valve springs (inner and outer) and the valve stem seal was right there. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the seals. Some tore and I had to remove each piece with the pliers, but it was not an issue because I cleaned everything out after it was all apart. A nice box cutter or similar razor-based device will help. I would not use a knife because the steel would dull the blade.
                      Am I missing something here? Not trying to be a smart azz, but why go to so much trouble when it can be so simple?

Comment

The srings and valves ive taken out already. The stem seals have a metal band around them and i was told that you gotta be careful removing the seals because the valve guides can snap easily if you get too violent. I have NEVER removed the stem seals so that why I am asking all the questions.. Just how do ( does ) the metal bands "release" ?? Whats the process to get them off the tops of the guides is what i am after here. Dremel cut the bands and peel them off, puller made to slip over and simply pull off, what??? Knock the band down and remove the seals and then the band???

Comment

Chuck, the tiny little spring just holds tension on the sealing surface.
                          What gets stuck on hard, is where the top and bottom heat and shrinks to the stem. TIGHT!

Eric

Comment

Its not a "little spring"...Its a solid metal band about 1/4 inch wide thats around the rubber part that clips onto the guides.

Comment

So your saying to grab and twist them to break them loose and they should just pull off?? Im not following...whats the step by step here??? I dont need to cut the metal outer shell thing???

Comment

Working...
                              X