Valve seal tool for the GSs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    So your saying to grab and twist them to break them loose and they should just pull off?? Im not following...whats the step by step here??? I dont need to cut the metal outer shell thing???
    Exactly!
    Grab them REALLY tight!

Eric

Comment

Thats what i needed to know Eric. I didnt know if the shell had some kinda tension it applied to set them into a groove and I sure didnt want to go diggin and snap a guide before asking questions!! That would almost make my blood pressure split my skull if that happened
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

This is why I posted the easy tool to make that makes the job almost EFFORTLESS.
        And the entire set of THREE of them is CHEAP!!!!

Eric

Comment

I have read EVERY section of the manual concerning the engine..removal, cylinder head and valves sections..and not one mention of just removing the stem seals. It does say how to drive out the valve GUIDES, which i assume drives the guides from the seals. I also looked at the special tolls section and theres no suchn thing listed as a stem oil seal removal tool...Very curious!!!!
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The tool I use is sold as a spark plug wire puller. It has a handle like a screwdriver with a shaft coming out and a loop bent at a 90 degree angle. Slide it down and under the metal band and pull up. Had to work it around on some of the stubborn ones, but it did the job. I think it's made by Lisle.

Buddy
            09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
            83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
            81 GS650G for the wife.
            82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
            I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
            If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
            Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

The seals are a bitch. Try to get something to hook under them and pull.

Comment

All you need is some thin nosed pliers. Just grab the seal and try and spin it around. Once you have got it spinning just pull at it gently and it will 'unscrew'.

If the thing won't spin, and some won't, a little heat applied by a gas torch will work a treat.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

There is an actual tool for that, but probably not worth buying for just one engine.
                  Speed Merchant
                  http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
                  X