valve cover "bolt" stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve cover "bolt" stripped

Hey guys, I need some help right now on the valve cover bolt.
    i took off my valve cover to do the valve adjustments. everything went well and i got it all back together. as i was tightening, it seems one of the bolts holding the valve cover on just spins when i try to tighten it. it seems the hole is stripped.
    any suggestions what i can do to fix this? as of now, oil leaks from that spot of the valve cover when my bike runs.
    i believe the previous owner used helicoil on it, so when i took it out, the threads came out as well.
    would i be able to rethread a larger pitch and use a different bolt?

It sounds like all that you really need to do is replace the Heli-coil correctly and use a new bolt to me.

Eric

Comment

Chances are it was the original aluminum threads that came out. You will need a 7mm x 1.0 Helicoil kit. Make sure that cam lobe, where the stripped cap is, is not on lift & remove the cam cap. I install all helicoils on a mill or drill press to make sure they are at a true 90 degrees when drilled & installed. Not a hard job to do & not too time consuming. Your original bolt should be fine to re-use also. Call me at 714--356-7845 if you have questions & don't want to wait for an answer here. A 1985 700ES was my first ever new bike, in Sept of 84. Ray.

Comment

Working...
      X