83 GS1100E Opinions/ Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100E Opinions/ Advice

Just wanted to say hello to all forum members, I just signed up on this forum which looks to be an excellent one.
    I'm new to Suzuki GS's but not to motorcycles.. I fix motocross bikes, ATV's and gas scooters for a living.. I'm no stranger to splitting cases, rebuilding transmissions, suspensions etc.. I've just never split a 4 cylinder streetbike engine..

I have a line on a 83 GS1100E for a decent price.. What i'm not sure of is the KM's on the bike.... It has just over 64,000 kms but the seller says it runs good and it's fast.. Don't they all say that though? lol

I just wanted to hear some opinions on this bike.. I've always like these bikes.. How many KM's can these engines go usually? I know maintenance is the key.. Is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome.
    If you haven't read it all ready, check out "Top 10 newbe mistakes". Its full of good info and check out the Basscliff website. Its a treasure trove of information.

Comment

Forever....................And one day

Comment

Although I may be somewhat biased having owned an '83 GS1100E since new, the 16 valve GS models are excellent bikes and are bullet proof given normal maintenance. Mine has 54,000 miles (nearly 87,000 kilometers) on the clock and runs as well, if not better, than the day I got it. Of course, I won't pass up an opportunity to post a couple pics....

Original body work:

Spare body work painted by nvr2old:

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I would have sworn I seen someone post that their GS is on the 3rd trip around the odo now. Obviously that requires diligent maintenance, but that should give you an idea of the kind of longevity you're looking at, even if you only get a fraction of it.

Comment

Both my 1100 and 1150 have about 55,000 miles on them and run perfectly. I recently put an 1168 top end on my 1100. Measuring the take off cylinders and pistons, I was amazed that there was zero noticeable wear and that bike did not have an easy life. If yours looks like a good deal, get it and forget about the mileage.

Comment

thanks for the info guys.. Joe that is a gorgeous bike

Comment

The 16 valve 1100 & 1150 engines are just abut bullet proof. The 83 & up engines have welded cranks & more power. About all you really need to do to one is have the clutch hub modified & then they are pretty unbreakable. This is my blue 83 with 7900 miles on it. Ray.
                Last edited by rapidray; 07-28-2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Sorry, it didn't upload before. Here it is, original paint. Ray.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. evh,

As long as I'm here I thought I'd drop this off.

New Members, CLICK HERE!!
                    <<< You'll find a ton of information about these bikes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for all the information gentlemen. I'm heading up this evening to pick the bike up.. It's an 83 GS1100E. from the photos it looks good. The owner said the engine doesn't have any bad noises, said it just needs tires and a battery which isn't a big deal. It comes with 2 hardshell saddlebags and the sport fairing. It's a long drive (3 hours each way) so I hope its worth it!

Comment

Welcome to the site....

3 hours each way, where are you heading ? sounds like a good road trip, depending on your route, you might be even close to a few of the members that are here on the forum.

do you have any pictures of the bike, perhaps from the ad, we all love pictures around here...

best of luck...

Cheers

Comment

I'm heading near Oshawa.

I have some pics of the bike but they're not the greatest pics..

Of course I will be removing the front windshield and rear saddle bags..
                          What do you think?

Comment

Looks like a diamond in the rough.....some cleaning, paint and a polish will get it looking really nice. New tires, at least the back from what I can see, see what year they are.

I guess it all depends on how far you want to take the bike, just a quick wash and ride, or strip her down, and make her all pretty everywhere.

Looks like some work went into her......

swing by for a beer on your way back.....

cheers

if you don't want the case guards, and if they fit my 750.........let's talk....

did you mention a price on the bike ? only if you want to, but it will let others tell you if it is a good deal or not.....

Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2012, 10:48 AM.

Comment

It is an 82 bike not an 83 - still a lot of potential!

Comment

Working...
                              X