X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compression test?
    Valve clearances recently checked?

Comment

i dont have a compression check but it has good compression, i cant hold my thumb over the hole it blows it right off, and i would figure if the compression was low it wouldnt run as well as it does, and valve clearences was all in tolerances but will prob have to change some this winter

Comment

and that is great news, valves seals are easy, i dont think i want to see those pistons out of the jugs again lol, being my first bike rebuild they were in and out to many time for me to like lol

Comment

Originally posted by tc862011 View Post
          and that is great news, valves seals are easy, i dont think i want to see those pistons out of the jugs again lol, being my first bike rebuild they were in and out to many time for me to like lol
          There a thread on how to redo the stem seals without pulling the head

But, it could be a problem with the bore - did you get the bore miked prior to reinstallation?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

i dont recognized the term miked, what does that mean

Comment

i was thinking if it was the bore it would be showing up alot more then the few times that people have actually seen smoke and i would think it would be more heavy smoke then it is but i may be wrong

Comment

it wouldnt be a smart thing to do by pulling to new seals off of the old head to put in this one one would it. just thinking about it makes me think they would have a better chance of falling off or not sealing but i figured i would ask
                Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2012, 03:52 PM.

Comment

i dont recognized the term miked, what does that mean
                  Might just be a spelling thing, but he was asking if you have had the bores checked with a micrometer (mic, mike, etc.) to determine actual size.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i didnt check the clearences cause with the new rings they slide in real nice it wasnt really tight but it took some careful maneuvering to get it, they didnt just fall right it, it took some light puressure hen inserting the pistons into the jugs. it didnt smoke for a while after the rebuild i want to say it started a couple hundred miles after i finished it, so i am thinking that the seals that were in the head which prob sat a while before i bought it started to break apart. the PO of the head said it cam off a running bike but was parted out do to a front end accident so i am figuring it was off the bike for a while. will replace the seals later in the season and see if that fixes it and if it doesnt then i will send the bike to the shop i use everyonce in a while and have them go to the oversize pistons. i have brought the bike there before, i have done all the work my self. i really hope the new seals fixes it cause i dont want to put the over size pistons in it, hate the idea of having to bore it even just a little bit. the over size pistons are labeled 0.50 oversized so i dont know how much that they would have to bore the cylinders to make them fit

Comment

Did you bother to measure the piston ring end gap of the top two rings when they were installed?

Eric

Comment

i want to get this bike in perfect running order, it is almost there this is the last thing, just ran out of winter and lost some riding time this season putting everything back together. would love to have this bike for years and years to come. i think this winter coming up i might get the frame powder coated the original paint it starting to wear this year, it was last year. at least it isnt chipping or anything just where the seat and panels are it has the rub marks from 35 years of use.

Comment

do you mean when they were installed in the cylinders? because how would you check that.

Comment

do you mean when they were installed in the cylinders? because how would you check that.
                            Apparently, the answer is NO.
                            "Houston we have a problem."

Eric
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

it was a first rebuild for me so of course i made some newb moves, i didnt know you could measure the ring gap. when i installed them tho i looked at the gap when the rings were closed around the piston and i want to say the gap looked like the around the same gap for the points if not smaller then that, there wasnt much gap there

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                                Apparently, the answer is NO.
                                "Houston we have a problem."

Eric
                                yes thats correct.

Comment

Working...
                                X