83 GS 1100E speedo cable problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS 1100E speedo cable problem

When I got my bike the speedo wasn't working so I ordered a new cable. When it arrived I took the old cable off and the little forked ferrule on the end of the cable was chewed up and the housing was unraveled at the bottom. I took the old stuff off and screwed the new housing into the speedo and inserted the inner cable and the speedo needle moved a bit so I assume the speedo head is okay.

Then I inserted the forked ferrule onto the part of the sending unit that turns and screwed the whole thing together. Then I spun the front wheel and the speedo seemed to work. I took the bike out for a test ride and the speedo wasn't working so I screwed the bottom loose and the new cable looked just like the old cable when it came out, all chewed up.

Is there an extra piece that holds the cable centered so it can't slip off the part that drives it? I can't find a picture in the manual that shows anything.

Art

Hi,

I usually make sure the cable end is securely seated in the send unit on the wheel before I tighten it down. There's no retaining mechanism on my bike. What does the inside of the send unit look like? Is there any obvious damage?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
    X