Completed First Valve Adjustment 83 GS750T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completed First Valve Adjustment 83 GS750T

Hey Gang... just wanted to say I completed my first valve adjustment on my 83 GS750T. Everything went great. I just followed all of the valuable information that you guys disseminate daily. Didn't need to ask any questions... just used the search function to find the answers that have been provided in-depth before. I knew what tools to have (or make) and mechanically there were no surprises. Of course, I nearly wrestled defeat from the jaws of victory when I dropped my offest tappet feeler gauge into the engine and down it went. After a brief period of cursing I collected myself and realized I have a flashlight equipped with an extendable magnet tipped wand.... it did the trick and the job was completed. Many thanks to all the contributors to the many threads covering this topic and particularly to BikeCliff & Mr. Basic for his how to guide. I don't know if I'm out of the woods yet... I'm charging my battery (as I write) then I will attempt to fire her up. Regardless... thanks for everything you guys do everyday.

Good deal, Congratulations.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Well Done!

You did a good thing,no one can teach"experience":congrats,you earned it! (p.s. beautifull blue color paint on your GS)
      Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2012, 07:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I could not believe the difference in performance from just a few minimal tweaks on the valves with a tappet. The performance of my 750T is nothing but smiles while trying to hang on!
        Post pics- we love them here!

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. Here's a photo of my engine with the valve cover off and work underway and the second is the completed work.

Comment

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

I have the same bags - pretty darn good for 46 bucks don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
              Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

I have the same bags - pretty darn good for 46 bucks don't you think?
              I agree... you gotta love it.... great bags... purchased them earlier this summer off Amazon for about $35.00. They were new/used. When they arrived they were complete and looked like no one had ever used them. They work great and hang over the seat but dont fall below the stock rear signals. Great straps keep it secure to the bike.

Comment

Is that one of those silicone Valve cover gaskets??!!!
                I threw mine in the garbage- leaked all the time.
                Bike looks nice!
                We are rare of all GS's

Comment

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
                  Is that one of those silicone Valve cover gaskets??!!!
                  I threw mine in the garbage- leaked all the time.
                  Bike looks nice!
                  We are rare of all GS's
                  Good question.... I have no idea what it is I assumed it was a RealGasket installed by PO. It's in great shape... no leaks... so I'm still using it. Love the bike.

Comment

They are (in my opinion of course) the best GS in ALL aspects ever.

I do really like that blue. I may have just been inspired...
                    '83 GS 1100T
                    The Jet

sigpic
                    '95 GSXR 750w
                    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                      They are (in my opinion of course) the best GS in ALL aspects ever.

I do really like that blue. I may have just been inspired...
                      The PO painted her "Indigo Ink Pearl" and used Martin-Seynour paint. I have a small amount left for touch-ups. The paint can has the formula on it if you have access to Martin-Seynour paint.

Comment

Originally posted by John S View Post
                        Good question.... I have no idea what it is I assumed it was a RealGasket installed by PO. It's in great shape... no leaks... so I'm still using it. Love the bike.
                        Be careful of those Real Gaskets with a bike that has the tach cable in the valve cover. The thickness of the gasket prevents the tach cable gears to mesh properly and sometimes will chew up the tach gear.
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                          Be careful of those Real Gaskets with a bike that has the tach cable in the valve cover. The thickness of the gasket prevents the tach cable gears to mesh properly and sometimes will chew up the tach gear.
                          Thanks Larry I'll keep an eye on it... regards

Comment

Working...
                          X