Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synchronized knocking sound from engine

Hello dear,

I have some strainge sound coming from my Katana.

I have pick up it last year, before that bike was siting for a long time, but was running.
    I check the valves (all are around 0,05mm), change the oil, rebuild the carbs, , spark plugs, untill valve cover was removed have check tension of cam chain and it look ok.
    Oil is Motul 5100 15W50.

Sound can be heard when bike it's cold, after it gets hot sound it's gone, and also not everyday.

Could be sign of worn cam chain, blocked tensioner???

Look video, you will hear that Tika-Taka sound.

Synchronized knocking sound on my suzuki GS550MD 1983.Knocking can be heard only on iddling.Any sugestions?

Thanks
    Regards
    Goran

That sounds very familiar. Try something, if you will. Slowly increase the engine speed to about 1500 RPM. Does the sound go away?
    If so, that is what we call "cam walk". It is caused by the thrust bearing surfaces on the cam or the head wearing away a bit, allowing the cam to move sideways just a bit. Increased engine speed pulls harder on the cam chain, forcing the cam back to center, so the noise goes away.

There was a thread several years ago where someone did some extensive machining and repaired it, but it's beyond the ability of most of us. You can find that write-up on BassCliff's site.

What to do about the noise? Ignore it. It won't hurt anything. My wife's bike sounded like that when we got it seven years ago. 25,000 miles later, the sound is still there, does not sound any worse, bike still runs just as well. It's just "one of those noises" that go along with the bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Steve,

I read about cam walk but didn't know that this produce such a noise.
      Yes, when I rise the rpm, than the sound it's gone, so propably this is cam walk, I will ride it and keep and eye on it.

Is there anything other to do on these bikes before going to ride them, beside that I have already done (valves, carb's,filters, oil)?
      Bike has 53000 km it's somewhere around 33000 miles.

regards
      Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2012, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Hi Goran,

Watched your video, that indeed sounds exactly like cam walk. No easy fix for it, best just to live with it. Like Steve said, extensive repairs listed to rid the noise if you choose to go that route. Engine looks great, kudos.

Comment

Originally posted by kli View Post
          Is there anything other to do on these bikes before going to ride them, beside that I have already done (valves, carb's,filters, oil)?
          Bike has 53000 km it's somewhere around 33000 miles.
          Don't forget the other typical stuff: tires, brakes, bearings, lights, etc.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Loki tnx, I will also try to ket it in such a good shape

Steve that's all fine, so beside that on engine there is nothing to do?

Comment

Originally posted by kli View Post
              Loki tnx, I will also try to ket it in such a good shape

Steve that's all fine, so beside that on engine there is nothing to do?
              If it runs well, and all your basic maintenance is done, just go for a ride.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Holy crow!!! Finally! That's the exact same sound mine makes sometimes. Like every couple seconds. Other times, you never hear it at all.
                As long as the consensus is cam walk, I'll be able to sleep at night
                1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
                2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
                2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Another possibility is the clutch basket DOES the noise change when the clutch is pulled in ?? Remember it is an air cooled motor and it will have some noises, after a while you will get used to them

Comment

Also. Didn't someone once mention that they flipped the half moons around as a possible fix?
                    2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Mine doesn't change with the clutch pulled in, so I eliminated that.
                      2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

cam noise

i have this noise on my 77gs 750 no problems with run-ability so far

Comment

I have one bike that has been doing that for over 15 years and it gets flogged regularly.
                          Nothing to worry about at all.
                          I think that it is just trying to ask to go riding.

Eric

Comment

Hey folks it nice to hear that it's all ok with her.

That's my first GS and bike of this kind so i was little woried.

I try to pull the clutch but there is no difference, so its the cam walk.

Going to take her for a ride and enjoy

Comment

Working...
                            X