Bucket list 80 GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bucket list 80 GS1000G

Hello everyone, I'm turning 56 years old tomorrow. I got a 1980 Suzuki GS1000G some what taken apart; the bike sat behind house out side for about two years. no oil or shelter. My question is I never rebuilt a bike before, is it worth the effort to try on such a messed up bike? If yes where do I start?
    I am not looking to restore to factory spec. just trying to get it to run would be fine with me. My wife is not sure about this, she is concerned that it might take more money than it is worth. And that I have never atemped something like this before.
    thanks ahead of time for what ever advise might come my way.

Need to figure $700-1000 for repairs So good luck.. Check BaseCliffs site Do it a step at a time following the list !!! NO SHORT CUTS

Comment

Where are you? One of us might be close enough to give you an in-person evaluation.

Next-best would be some pictures. We are pretty good at evaluations if you can provide some decent pictures.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I wouldn't worry about doing it yourself especially since there's so much information here to help you. Trust yourself, be willing to ask questions, and you'll be surprised how easy it will be in the end.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Worth is such a relative term. It would probably be cheaper to buy one already running. If you value the experience of resurrecting an old bike then it is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by lemilbach View Post
            Hello everyone, I'm turning 56 years old tomorrow. I got a 1980 Suzuki GS1000G some what taken apart; the bike sat behind house out side for about two years. no oil or shelter. My question is I never rebuilt a bike before, is it worth the effort to try on such a messed up bike? If yes where do I start?
            I am not looking to restore to factory spec. just trying to get it to run would be fine with me. My wife is not sure about this, she is concerned that it might take more money than it is worth. And that I have never atemped something like this before.
            thanks ahead of time for what ever advise might come my way.
            If you are in the PNW, I would love to have this bike!! I really need an engine! Mine just died after a 2000 mile trip to california

Plus I could use another project!!

Comment

Hi babes.
              Yeah, dont worry, i made my bike from 4 boxes ov loose bits and lots ov rummaging around at auto jumbles...
              Its now running and I LOVE IT!
              It defo feels like MY bike...
              I know EVERY INCH ov it... Intimately.
              Especially the inside ov the carbs, which ive cleaned & rebuilt many many many times...
              Have fun babes...
              Be careful, go slow and keep focused...
              There are so many nice and knowlegable people here im sure they can help get ya beast on the road again...
              Good luck.
              Xxx

Comment

Working...
              X