ever seen this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ever seen this?

Has anyone ever seen the circlip which holds a gear in place on the trans shaft shear, allowing gear the freely float and eventually bind as mine has? Ohh the carnage!

I recently rebuilt the engine, but I'm pretty certain I did not take this apart. The bearings are all good. Case ring holders were in place. I dont ride it that hard. Thinking I had to have screwed this up somehow......

Did you ride it after the rebuild? Were you shifter forks lined up properly?
    Hope you can find a used tranny. For the funny guys not a used up cross dresser
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Chef, I rode it about 5000 miles after the rebuild before this happened. I have acquired a loaded inner and outer counter shaft (not touching that tranny thing). Just a bit leery, wonder what I did wrong? I haven't read about this happening, which leads me to believe something I did was not quite right. I did play hell trying to get the secondary gear set contact correct after changing the bearings. Shafts are a PITA

Comment

felt obligated to post an update...
        I figured out where I screwed up!

When attempting to change the seal in the middle of the counter shaft my inferior cam dog spring compressor slipped. When it did the 4th gear race spun and the tang on the retainer did not align with the gap in the circlip any longer, leaving too much play in the gear and creating undue lateral pressure on the circlip which eventually caused it to shear in half. I didn't catch this until i did it again with the donor countershaft. A piece of m6 x 1 threaded rod and a few other bits later I fabricated a proper compressor and it all went easy as pie! Got the cases back together. Now just have to tear down the top and replace that desperation aftermarket base gasket that leaks like a siv (tore the OEM replacement during assembley last time and had that one overnighted, dumb move).

Good Lord, what a learning curve. I hope I dont have to tear into this motor again for a LONG time

Comment

Thanks for update- it might help others at some point. Good luck
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X