relocating 1100GK horns for better cooling air flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

relocating 1100GK horns for better cooling air flow

I have been spending the last couple of months sorting out the 1100GK I bought back in May(Medussa).
    I keep looking at those two horns, that are frame mounted, right in front of the upper engine cooling ducts on the cam cover. Those guys have to be reducing the air flow into those cam cover cooling ducts.
    So, I am looking around to find a better place to mount them out of the way.
    From what I have seen, there are no new issues on these bike that have not already been solved by others on this forum.
    So, I am posting this thread to find out what others think or have done with this.
    Glad for any & all opinions/suggestions!

You should be able to mount them to the frame under the tank facing down towards the exhaust cam. No rewiring needed.

Comment

The position that OLDENUFF mentioned is where they come on a few models, so brackets should be available.

The only problem that I have noted with that location is that you have to remove the horns to pull the valve cover for valve clearance checks.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I do believe I have horns with those brackets if you're interested.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

You might be able to tell from this picture ...

I moved the horns from under the tank where they were practically on top of the valve cover, to the front of the frame behind the forks. You can actually hear the horns a little better now. I just moved the existing hardware, no extra parts or fabrication necessary.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X