Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New half moons Using silicone cam cvr gasket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New half moons Using silicone cam cvr gasket.

Finishing up adjusting the valves on my '82 1100GK. Got a Real Gasket silicone cam cvr gasket & new half moons. Put the half moons in with a dab of gasket sealant to hold place. Put the cam cover on & tightened everything up. Filled the engine with fresh oil & started her up on the understand. After a couple of minutes, the exhaust half moons FELL OUT! They just slowly slid out & oil started splashing out. What a mess!
    I loosened the cover up & reset everything. It did it again! The intake are slowl loosening out also. Just not as fast.
    I do not know why!
    I figure that I probably not the first to have this dumb thing happen.
    So, what is the solution? Go back to paper gaskets?

Wow well I know some folks here have experience with those gaskets on those bikes. One thing I did on mine was install that half moons inside out, there's no way they can come out then. You might try that and see if it leaks.
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Yeah, I think you put them in backwards.
      I just rebuilt mine and put the first one in backwards , but luckily wondered "what the heck holds this in"? Then realized that if I flipped it around, there is a little lip that keeps it in.
      Take a deep breath, tear it apart , clean it all up and put it back together! 1 2 3!
      At least your base gasket isnt leaking!
      Good luck!

Edit: and what do you mean the "intake are slowly loosening also, just not as fast"?
      let us know so we can help
      Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2012, 08:53 PM.

Comment

If the little lip is keeping it in, it IS in backwards.
        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
          If the little lip is keeping it in, it IS in backwards.
          OH no, are you talking to me? lol
          I do have a 16v head. Not sure if that makes a difference. It seemed obvious, but maybe I was wrong.

Comment

Hey Larry....
            I just did a search on the forum and found numerous threads concerning the issue of putting the lip in or out.
            Supposedly the lip out is the factory way, but some members put the lip in. As long as it does not rub on your camshaft end or is just too close to fit it.
            Here is one great thread.

Pay particular attention to post # 2, which addresses half moons and the use of a real gasket.
            Turns out I am the one who put them in backwards, but my engine has good cam clearence so it is working out for me.
            Good luck

Comment

Thx guys! That is what I like about this site. There is nothing that I cam run into that has not already been covered by others. I always get a solution.

Comment

Another solution takes just a little more time, but seems to work, regardless of your gasket choice.

Clean the surface where the half-moons will be. Apply a THIN layer of sealer (on the curved surface only), whether it's ThreeBond, black RTV, whatever, is up to you. Install the half-moons, put the cover on without a gasket. Basically, you are using the cover as a clamp to hold the half-moons in place overnight. After a several-hour clamping session, install the gasket and go for a victory ride.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I put the half moons in & set them without any gasket on the cover. I let it set for several hrs & then put the gasket on. Tightened it up & that gasket had SEVERAL leaking areas. I have ordered two OEM style paper gaskets!

Comment

Hi,

What torque did you put on your Real Gasket?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Just used a nut driver & cranked them down till "snug". The gasket squeezed out on two cam ends & in one area way in by the cam drive.

Comment

Hi,

The directions that come with the Real Gasket state to use 15 *inch*pounds of torque (that's only 1.25 footpounds) when fastening the valve cover. If you over-tighten the gasket it will split and squeeze out of shape. The Real Gaskets require clean surfaces and a light touch. Even with a light touch, my Real Gasket will last only about 8 valve checks before I must replace it. Because I ride all year and put on a fair amount of miles, I check my valves twice a year.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I replaced gasket on my bike. Used factory gasket with high temp silicone permatex. Put thin bead all over and under the half moons left in factory position. I tightened down snug not concerned with torque. I then let it sit for a little more than 24 hours. Started up, no leaks.

Comment

Good luck with that gooped up gasket when its valve service time ronv

Comment

You have to use old half-moons with a RealGasket. New ones stick up and leak at the corners.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                              X