Adding Seafoam to oil, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Seafoam to oil, anyone?

Just curious if anyone tried adding Seafoam to their motor oil - what amounts and with what results.
    If so, should one add it to new oil only, or is ok to put some in to older as well?

Cheers

I have never heard of doing this. Sounds like a bad idea, wouldn't Seafoam break down the oil? I've seen people use diesel fuel to flush out an engine though I wouldn't do that either. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

If you want to add something to your oil to flush it before an oil change,
      I would use Marvel Mystery Oil instead of the Seafoam.
      Seaform might work in your car/truck but they don't share the transmission and clutch with the oil like the GSes.

Eric

Comment

I'd be pretty careful about doing that. You don't know how that going to affect all your old seals and gaskets, nevermind the clutch fiber plates.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Some people run a little Seafoam in the oil for about 50 miles before draining it for an oil change to help flush things out. Not sayin' it's the best way. I think the Seafoam people recommend it but they might not be talking about motorcycles with a wet clutch.
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Thanks for your responses.
            I think I'll stick to adding it to gas only.

Comment

Well 5 or 6 years ago I contcted Seafoam on this subject and spoke with one of their chemical engineers. He informed me that as the formulation is derived from petroleum it is 100% compatable with oil or gas.

I always use it on any new to me bike. I put it in the existing oil and run it 500 to 1000 km before an oil change. You would be suprised what crap comes out.

I have never experienced any difficulties, no clutch slippage, no problems whatsoever.

Whether in gas or oil, it is good stuff IMHO so don't be afraid to use it.

And no, I am not a spokesperson, affiliated with Seafoam or in anyway a spokesman. Just a satisfied user.

Cheers,
              spyug

Comment

If your motor is in that bad of shape, just tear it down and rebuild it.

Comment

Seafoam is not magical mystery oil (no pun nor reference intended), nor is it snake oil. I would use it, but only prior to an oil change.
                  And for certain, if the alternative was an engine rebuild, the Seafoam is in there. 100% of the time.

Comment

I add to oil on every bike that I buy. I do this because I have no idea what oil has previosly been in the bike and how often it was changed.

I spoke to two Sea Foam reps who couldn't answer the "safe for wet clutches" question, one immediatedly called the plant and spoke to "expert". The resulting answer was same as above, 100% petrol based product, will not harm wet clutch.

I add the seafoam, 2-3 oz to the crankcase before a 40-50 mile ride and then come home and change oil and filter. This is always done before the valve adjustment and I have never had a top end that wasn't perfectly spotless upon opening the valve cover.

I then button everything up with fresh filter and Rotella 15w-40 and all is good to go.

I will say that the oil that comes out is usually nasty black and terrible looking.

My .02 and never had a problem. I am sure that other things would work but its just easy for me to dump the 3 oz in the crankcase and then the rest in the tank and I'm done. $7.00 piece of mind.
                    GS Score Card
                    4-400 Series GS's
                    3-500 Series
                    1-600 Series
                    1-700 Series
                    4-800 Series
                    1-1000 Series
                    2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jimfj View Post

I add the seafoam, 2-3 oz to the crankcase before a 40-50 mile ride and then come home and change oil and filter. This is always done before the valve adjustment and I have never had a top end that wasn't perfectly spotless upon opening the valve cover.
                      GSes are always perfectly clean inside, aren't they?
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        GSes are always perfectly clean inside, aren't they?
                        Sure…except if you spill some chips and beer.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Usually I just spill gasket chunks.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I find that changing the oil as scheduled provides for more than sufficient engine cleanliness.

Comment

Working...
                            X