Oil Leak ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak ?

Newbie Here! Still dont have my bike running for the first time but trying to tackle one issue at a time. I have oil leaking down my kickstand. As far as I can tell it is coming from around the gear foot pedal. I looked underneath that plate that shows the gear selections and there is a large bolt that is soaked. This could be my problem. Is there a gasket under that plate I will have to buy if I unscrew it? Also are there any well known problem areas to check for leaks on that side of the motor in that general location? Thanks Ahead!

Probably either the oil seal around the shifter shaft, or the countershaft oil seal, perhaps oil blowing around from somewhere else, like an oil drain plug or stator cover. It could also be left over oil from overzealous chain oiling. The countershaft and shift shaft seals are common leaks, and are easy to fix. There's no gasket with the sprocket cover, if that's what you mean by that plate. You will probably need an impact driver. (hand held type that you tap with a hammer)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Starter o-ring if leaking will also follow the drain hole down thru and show in the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Probably either the oil seal around the shifter shaft, or the countershaft oil seal, perhaps oil blowing around from somewhere else, like an oil drain plug or stator cover. It could also be left over oil from overzealous chain oiling. The countershaft and shift shaft seals are common leaks, and are easy to fix. There's no gasket with the sprocket cover, if that's what you mean by that plate. You will probably need an impact driver. (hand held type that you tap with a hammer)
        its a shafty, GS1000GL
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Well looks like I need to start tearing into to find the culprit. Any tricks on tracing an oil leak? Was just gonna clean and then start the bike and wait for the drippage.

Comment

thats your best bet. scrub the whole area spotless clean, warm the bike up on the stand and keep an eye out for drips.
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I got under there again and it almost looks like its coming from the rubber boot that goes to the shaft drive. Its a greenish looking oil when it drips. Could that be gear oil? I thought the gear oil would be thicker and not drip so much.

Comment

Hi,

To see what it looks like under that cover, check out this guide: Secondary Gear Oil Change (PDF).

See the rest of the maintenance guides on my website to get an idea of what it takes to properly feed and care for a classic GS shafty.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Think I have read that using talc or flour works well for finding oil leaks. Clean it, let it dry, run it for a short time, then toss the talc or flour at it. It will stick to the new leaking oil.

Comment

Thanks basscliff that cleared things up. Gonna change gear oil and put new washer on drain bolt. Will prob use the baking soda methos if I still have a problem. Does the rubber boot that goes to the drive shaft have fluid in it or did it maybe just spray up on that?

Comment

Originally posted by gs1000emt View Post
                      Thanks basscliff that cleared things up. Gonna change gear oil and put new washer on drain bolt. Will prob use the baking soda methos if I still have a problem.
                      Does the rubber boot that goes to the drive shaft have fluid in it or did it maybe just spray up on that?
                      No, it is dry inside. Just a drive-shaft and U-joints.
                      Get the cover off and take a peek. Find that leak.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                      X