Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange valve cover gasket fit problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the replies. I checked my stock exhaust it says GS 65O GT. The gasket I ended up ordering is from a seller in England. I'm waiting for it to come in the mail with fingers crossed.

As far as the crud on the cover. That's mostly old gasket. I scraped a lot of it off but some of it pretty stuck on there. Anyone have any recommendations as far as some kind of solvent that might help me out?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TLock View Post
      Thanks for all the replies. I checked my stock exhaust it says GS 65O GT. The gasket I ended up ordering is from a seller in England. I'm waiting for it to come in the mail with fingers crossed.

As far as the crud on the cover. That's mostly old gasket. I scraped a lot of it off but some of it pretty stuck on there. Anyone have any recommendations as far as some kind of solvent that might help me out?

Thanks!
      Others may have better advice, but this is what I used and it worked well. You have to give it time if the gasket has been on awhile though. I ended up letting it sit over night. It did the trick. The gasket came off easily.
      http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...t-Remover.aspx

Oh and it worked on the liquid gasket that the PO used also (and made a mess of). You can probably find it at a local store as well, rather than having to buy it online. I think I got mine at Advanced Autoparts...or ACE Hardware, I forget which.

Comment

Thanks! I'll check that stuff out. My one concern was scrapping near the actual valves. How bad is it to get small pieces of gasket in the pool of oil there?

Comment

I collect the old style gaskets when I see them on ebay for my 16 bolt cover, I need to refill my stock. There isn't an easy way to use a 17 bolt gasket on these heads, any attempt to do so will leak.

I have a spare engine and it's an 83 with a 17 bolt head. Someday I'll join the rest of the GS650G world
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
          X