Stuck exhaust bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck exhaust bolts

Not sure if this is an engine question or an exhaust question. Anyway - took the stock exhaust off, but two of the hex head bolts were stuck. After PB Blaster and heat, and finally snapping my good hex wrench, I ground off the heads and removed the exhaust that way. Any ideas for removing the bolts, without damaging the head?

At least three of mine have helicoils in them. Highly adviseable to go with studs and nuts instead of the bolts when putting it back together

Comment

This is a common occurrence. You have tried soaking, good. Heat the area around the bolt and freeze the bolt itself using a can of dust-off held upside down. Next, I would try to smack them directly and sharply but not too hard with a large punch to possibly break the bond between them and the cylinder head. If you can get a pair of vice grips on the offending bolts you may be able to ease them out. If all else fails, you can drill them out. Do NOT use an E-Z out as it will break off in the bolt.
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
        This is a common occurrence. You have tried soaking, good. Heat the area around the bolt and freeze the bolt itself using a can of dust-off held upside down. Next, I would try to smack them directly and sharply but not too hard with a large punch to possibly break the bond between them and the cylinder head. If you can get a pair of vice grips on the offending bolts you may be able to ease them out. If all else fails, you can drill them out. Do NOT use an E-Z out as it will break off in the bolt.
        I tried vice grips and heating with a torch then cooling the bolt with a wet rag, no dice. Will try again with the punch and dust-off. If that fails I'm afraid I'll be drilling it out. And I've learned the hard way, E-Z outs are only useful for stripped screws, not frozen ones.

Comment

I had the same problem with one of my header bolts.
          If you have enough sticking out of the block try screwing on a nut and welding it in place. Use that nut to try and turn the threaded section out.
          Otherwise, yea, prick punch as close to the center of the threaded section as you can and drill it out with a root diameter drill size.
          Sometimes doing that will loosen it up enough to pick out.

Comment

Yeah, tried welding a nut to it too but my little stick welder couldn't get enough material on there to hold the nut in place when I wrenched on it. Or maybe my welding just sucks. But either way, I see drilling out in my future if another hot/cold cycle doesn't do it.

Comment

Sears also sells a stud removal kit as well as advanced auto,also sears sells a kit of 4 that u hammer on the stud or head,as u try to back the bolt out it tightens and grips the bolt head or stud,i have used these with much success for about 25 bux,still may take threads with it tho,no telling till u do it.Sears owns advanced auto.

Comment

Center punch center and drill it out.
                Even if it isn't quite centered, once you get near the threads, it should turn out easily...ask me how I know.
                Welding a nut worked for one of my bolts, but the others just didn't want to budge.
                1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
                1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

stick of dynamite ductaped to the head?lol j/k

Comment

Originally posted by 5150/gs View Post
                    stick of dynamite ductaped to the head?lol j/k
                    I'm about there. The stud remover tool just removed the end of the stud just in front of the head. Drilling it out next.

Comment

Working...
                    X