Stuck in 4th & 5th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This should be fixable.

As noted, the centering spring #26 is broken.

To get at the other bits, remove the silver retaining plate #10 at the top right. You'll need to use heat and a good hammer-driven impact driver to remove those two screws. You can leave the dark gray retaining plate in place.

The shifter shaft just pulls straight out (assuming you've removed the shift lever), although there's a seal on the other side #29 you'll want to replace.

Stick a rag in that hole leading to the sump, then pull out all the bits of the ratcheting mechanism (#5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 from the fiche) and make sure everything is there and relatively undamaged.

Once these are out, you'll be able to rotate the shift drum back counterclockwise to neutral position. You'll need to gently rotate and wiggle the output shaft (a hand on the rear tire should do it) to move the gears.

If you need any new bits, you should have good luck posting in the parts wanted forum.

Last edited by bwringer; 09-01-2012, 10:13 AM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I see our posts crossed paths...

Are you SURE the spring is OK? Both prongs present and accounted for?
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        I see our posts crossed paths...

Are you SURE the spring is OK? Both prongs present and accounted for?
        Yeah, it's good. The gear shift paw appears to have been held down by the gear thingy #5. Why wasn't it springing back is the question. I'll tear it apart now.....

-Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

And this stuff looks OK to me too.

-Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

It appears to me that you should try to figure out why that spring popped off. You certainly do not want to do all this stuff again.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              It appears to me that you should try to figure out why that spring popped off. You certainly do not want to do all this stuff again.
              I think I may have it figured out. I started putting it all back together and while tightening the drive sprocket cover I noticed if I didn't keep it straight it started to bind with the gear shift shaft.

I'll finish it off shortly and go for a spin.........
              -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Thanks kk but the spring wasn't popping off, the shaft was indeed binding.

I feel like a complete noob. Just went on a 10 mile run and it's perfect.

Thanks to those who tried to help, but once again it was my own stupidity I tripped over.
                -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

But you got to play with some new bits... and got it back together. ++
                  Curt
                  sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Awesome results, and congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by bellucci View Post
                      But you got to play with some new bits... and got it back together. ++
                      Curt
                      Awesome results, and congrats.
                      Yeah, all in all I'm very happy despite the flaffing around.
                      -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                      X