Weird valve issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird valve issue

Here's a Weird one, when I turn over the motor by hand the number 4 intake valve pops and oil shoots out. Any thoughts?

Also, if anyone from RI,MA,CT wants to take a stab at working on it, I've got a budget of about $500 max. I can't work on it anymore, I've got too many other stressors in my life right now, I just want to be able to ride it.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2012, 08:31 PM.

28 views and no suggestions?hm.C'mon people i didn' t start this thread hehe.
    Need more info,pics or vid maybe?never heard of this before.does it run at all?smoke?Help us help you?where does the oild "squirt " from?is it a "pop" spund?Is #4 plug wet with oil?not uncommon this old a bike may need valve seals and lap them while in there.

Comment

I just saw it, but the "pops" indicates to me that it was binding for some reason and then came free. If so, why was it in a bind? Where did the oil come from (other than inside the engine)? What event releases it from a bind? Was the head removed? Cams? Are the cams timed correctly WRT the crank?
      We need a bit of history rather than just throwing out a bunch of theories.
      BTW, "Weird valve issue" is enough of a description to cause someone to look, but when they see what the actual issue is, which appears to be "when I turn over the motor by hand the number 4 intake valve pops and oil shoots out" they do not know what to do. See the difference in the titles?
      Title 1 "Weird valve issue"
      Title 2 "when I turn over the motor by hand the number 4 intake valve pops and oil shoots out"
      Which one tells you more and motivates you to look?
      This is why there are so many looks and no responses.

Comment

Allright, i'll bite, where does the oil "shoot" out?

With what you are telling here, i think you should check the valve seats or at least replace the valve seals. It seems that oil is leaking by the seals and running on the intake valve. When you start the engine, does it smoke? if so, it confirms my theory.

Changing the seals is best done with the head off, but there are ways do bypass that. It all depends of your skills as a mechanic.
        Changing the seats requires to take off the head.

Comment

More info please- your last posts indicated you were doing a valve check/adjustment- is this complete or still in process?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

yes, more info needed for sure. it seems the valve cover must be off or the exhaust. (only way to see a valve(
            did you bend a valve during a timing procedure causing sticking? causing sticking?
            installed a valve keeper wrong, and have a binding valve spring?
            where is the oil squirting from?
            Please give us the current/previous running condition of the bike.
            is it fully assembled? or do you have stuff taken apart?
            please give us the full story

Comment

well?any updates on this?curiouse as a kitty

Comment

The valve cover was off from doing a valve job. I noticed after the new shim that it squirt oil. Shim seems to be seated properly. The cam lobe will depress the valve, rotate around release the valve and POP squirt a little stream of oil flies across the garage. Im thinking maybe a sticky valve seal? I've got some
                Marvel in the tank right now, think that would be able to loosen it up?

Comment

sounds to me like the valve pocket is full of oil. as the valve springs up it forces a squirt of oil out.
                  oil will not be able to enter the valve pocket via the valve guide seal
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Just noticed the oil sight was empty. This is strange considering yesterday it was full and there are no wet spots under the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by overboostin View Post
                      Just noticed the oil sight was empty. This is strange considering yesterday it was full and there are no wet spots under the bike.
                      Don't take this the wrong way, but do you have it on the center stand when viewing the oil sight?
                      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                        Don't take this the wrong way, but do you have it on the center stand when viewing the oil sight?
                        Yup I always use the center stand

Comment

once it sits for at least 15 minutes after running, it should show the true level.
                          I was surprized that after my rebuild how much oil it takes. the manual will tell you(just example numbers)
                          oil change w/o filter 3.9 quarts
                          with filter replacement 4.4 quarts
                          oil after rebuild 5.2 quarts....as long as you wait long enough, just add till at the proper mark. it will not be at the proper mark till you run the engine and circulate oil through the whole system, then let it rest to show the true level.

Comment

What concerns me most about this thread is the "POP". Why does it pop?

Comment

I wish i knew. It seems to be running fine

Comment

Working...
                              X