Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS750ES 2nd and 3rd gear shifting problems

hello all great site now i hope someone out there can help a bit

i have a problem with my bike wanting to jump out of gear at the top half of 2nd and the lower end of third and im guessing it is the shifting fork i have two bikes but i want to know if there any way to trouble shot the problem a little more before i tear the whole motor down to see if im right well im open for some useful info and thanks in advance for your help

Very likely - is this bike new-to-you? maybe PO was cruel. I always suspect 2 nd gear problems on rocket sleds. Did you notice allojohn posts a few posts down?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by cheesy View Post
      hello all great site now i hope someone out there can help a bit

i have a problem with my bike wanting to jump out of gear at the top half of 2nd and the lower end of third and im guessing it is the shifting fork i have two bikes but i want to know if there any way to trouble shot the problem a little more before i tear the whole motor down to see if im right well im open for some useful info and thanks in advance for your help
      You should be able to pull the motor and roll it upside down and just pull the bottom case to remove transmission
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

thanx for responding so promptly guys i just got done reading all johns posts and i dont think we have the same problem so heres a lil more info on my lilproblem

when i try to power up thru 2nd gear i have full ingadgement of 2nd gear till about 5500 rpm and then some times it wants to jump into third and other times it stays in and il shift up to 3rd and then 3rd wants to jump down to 2nd gear under any power at all so i just granny shift in to 4th and 4th is good aswell as 5th so ive been looking at the parts fiche and trying to figure this out but now im afraid it time to turn wrenches so should i hit my parts bike up first to seehow everything looks before i tear into it or just pull the engine on my good bike???

Comment

If you have a spare engine, I would recommend taking it apart first. I have done it on my GPz (upside down, split the cases, remove tranny) and I would practice first on the spare. You will want the tranny out of it anyway to put into your good bike.

Comment

ok will do koolaid thanx i will get to getting and keep my post up to date i will start tomorrow morning on the parts bike and so what we got

Comment

Working...
            X