oil leakig from mystrey hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leakig from mystrey hole

there is quite a bit of oil leaking from the mystery hole. thats the starter seal correct. I ordered the O-ring on bike bandit. Is it a tough install. Is that even the correct seal could't find any other.
    1980 gs850g

tia james

The "mystery hole" is only a drain for the starter cavity. If you have oil leaking from there, the only likely place it can get in is around the starter nose. Not likely that is where it's coming from, though, as that is high in the cavity, and has no direct oil flow that might get pushed past the seal.

How oily is the back of your engine? It's possible that oil might be leaking from the base gasket and draining into the starter cavity before you can see it elsewhere.

Fortunately, you did not lose a lot of money at Bike BANDIT. They sell that o-ring for $1.32. Retail is $1.20 and G&S Suzuki sells it for $0.89. Just so you know, Bike BANDIT is the second-most-expensive dealer that we know of on the internet. You will do much better to shop at G&S Suzuki, Boulevard Suzuki, Part Shark and Z1 Enterprises.

Did you get your Mega-Welcome from BassCliff? There is a list of vendors there, with commentaries on why or why not to use them.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hence their name"BANDIT" they warn u at the front door lmao

Comment

Thanks Steve.
        New base gasket, pretty sure its good, but gonna get out the white powder and see whats wet.

Comment

talc powder or whatever,foot powder baby powder is the way to go!!The starter o ring seems a common fail.

Comment

i thought i had a bad leak on my 850, it was really coming out heavy. turns out i had mistakenly over filled with oil. now i can see the oil in the window at the correct level and the leak is completely gone. i'm not sure where it was coming out, starter o ring probably. it's worth a look, ya might get lucky.
            2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
            82 gs1100L probably the next project
            1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
            1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
            https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X