"Sticky" clutch..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Sticky" clutch..

Please forgive my ignorance if this is a common question and I missed it in my searches.
    I am fairly new to working on my motorcycle and I'm a long ways away from home and stressed about my issue.

My clutch is sticky..
    To explain, when I start riding everything feels great and fine. Once everything warms up my clutch gets very sticky. Typically I was able to sort of just work the lever out with a finger on each side and that would be okay. But recently it has started to stick even more. Which means I am always jumpy when I start moving, and sometimes even getting into second is jumpy. At times it won't even disengage and let me start moving.. When this happens I have to pull over and fiddle with the cable until it will work again. I have tried adjusting the cable both at the lever and at the base.. I am sure that neither of these are the issue...

There have also been a few times where I start moving and things feel peculiar so I just lightly touch my clutch and then it seems like it fully disengages and let's me move.

What would the best plan of attack be?

I recently moved from Canada to San Diego California, and my motorcycle is my only mode of transportation. Frustrating to say the least.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!

I forgot to add, it is a 1978 GS550.

Comment

So I did find this thread.

Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

Now problem is, the bolts on the sprocket cover are so close to stripped it's ridiculous and they are in there tight. Any easy ways to get them unscrewed?

Comment

Replace the cable. It is probably holding on by a couple strands and the rest are binding up in the housing.

Comment

Agreed, that cable is shot
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Use an impact driver on the screws or drill the heads on all of them and take the cover off. Then take them off with vice grips and replace with allen bolts.
            Stephen.
            1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

I am up by Disneyland if you want to go for a ride. I have a dealer 10 minutes from me also. Ray.

Comment

Working...
              X