Replacing sprockets question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing sprockets question

I'm in the process of replacing my chain and sprockets. I'm not doing a conversion - I'm using the stock 530 chain size and 15T / 50T sprocket sizes.

My old sprockets did not have any markings and are flat on both sides. Well, I guess it's possible there was a marking on the old front sprocket but ...

Anyway, I received 2 new JT sprockets from Z1. Both new sprockets have the size marked on one side with the other side being blank. The front sprocket seems identical/flat on both sides (except for the 15) and the rear sprocket has a slight indent on the side marked with a 50. My assumption was that the size marking should be "out" / visible (and I read that somewhere as well). However, I've also read some information on this site where the indent should be on the "inside" but I think that that was for a front sprocket doing a size conversion.

Front sprocket, flat both sides, 15 marked on one side (not torqued yet)

Rear sprocket, indent facing out, 50 marked on indent side (torqued but washers not bent yet)

Am I ok proceeding with the size markings facing out? Also, the shaft for the front sprocket seems a bit rusty - is that something to be concerned about?

My rear sprocket is mounted on the same way Scott. It is a JT as well, since you already have a 530 set up you wouldn't need to do a conversion. I've never seen a shaft or front sprocket that rusty. To me that is a lack of chain lube?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
      My rear sprocket is mounted on the same way Scott. It is a JT as well, since you already have a 530 set up you wouldn't need to do a conversion.
      Thanks for the confirmation! I wanted to make sure before I put the wheel back on.

I've never seen a shaft or front sprocket that rusty. To me that is a lack of chain lube?
      I guess I ought to take a closer look at that. I'm not sure what caused the rust. I'll remove the front sprocket and get a better pic of the shaft. I have some Evaporust - I could put some on a rag and wrap it around the shaft for a while?

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
        I guess I ought to take a closer look at that. I'm not sure what caused the rust. I'll remove the front sprocket and get a better pic of the shaft. I have some Evaporust - I could put some on a rag and wrap it around the shaft for a while?
        That can't hurt anything

Did your bike sit for a long time?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          That can't hurt anything

Did your bike sit for a long time?
          I don't know much about the bike before I got it. I had it sitting for maybe 10 months in the garage. The odometer only reads 8500 miles so it seems it has spent a lot of its life sitting.

I took off the sprocket to get a better look:

I tried to clean it up with some Simple Green and WD40. It's the end piece that seems to have the worst of it. Is that hole in there something that's rusted through?

Comment

No the hole in the end of the shaft is probably the pilot when it was machined.
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I am pretty sure you got some rust due to that being among the cleanest counter-shaft areas I have ever seen.

Was the bike a real low mileage thing or did the PO just never oil the chain?

Comment

a drill and a wire wheel would clean that up in a couple of seconds

Comment

Originally posted by snicrep5 View Post
                  a drill and a wire wheel would clean that up in a couple of seconds
                  exactly....

one of these

Comment

No the hole in the end of the shaft is probably the pilot when it was machined.
                    Ok - that's good

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                    I am pretty sure you got some rust due to that being among the cleanest counter-shaft areas I have ever seen.

Was the bike a real low mileage thing or did the PO just never oil the chain?
                    Well it wasn't that clean when I opened it up. I made an attempt to clean out some of the gunk.

I tried the soaking a piece of rag in Evaporust and put it on there for about 8 hours.

It definitely got a good bit of the rust:

I'll probably try to continue with the chain install now.

I'll look into a wire wheel though - there's rust in a number of places on the bike that I should address.

Comment

Looking much much better.
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
                      X