No announcement yet.

High RPM idle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe you have Mikuni BS32's on that bike. There is a tutorial on the forum on how to rebuild the carbs. It explains how to set the float height and how to bench sync the carbs. The dynojet comes will instructions, its pretty easy to install. Once you get your carbs cleaned up it will be very clear where all the parts go. Here is the link for the carb cleanup
    http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

Comment

Actually, there is a much newer and improveder (wait, is that a word?) version here: BassCliff's web site
      Scroll down on the right hand side it is the top Mikuni CV rebuild guide by Mr. Nessism.

Comment

Yeah guys, I looked at both of those. The only thing I'm worried about it the adjustments with the new jets and then fuel screw. Do I need to adjust the jets in any way? Saying that I get the stage 3 kit.

Comment

No adjustments to the jets. For the screw, use the procedure I wrote, currently residing in the Tips and Tricks section.
          If you got the stage 3 kit, you would have to use plug chops to determine the correct main jet, then again to determine the correct slot for the needle.

Comment

The jet kit should tell you the initial settings for the mixture screws and which notch in the needle to use.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              The jet kit should tell you the initial settings for the mixture screws and which notch in the needle to use.
              That is the key word. The installation instructions will tell you what to use to get it started. Then you gots to do plug chops. Unavoidable. On my current bike, they all got it started, and none are the same now. And I tuned it with a wideband, which means it is spot on.

Comment

One thing at a time Mr. Koolaid. First he has to figure out how to get those carbs apart and cleaned properly before he can ever hope to start tuning them. Don't want to burden him with too much information at once.

Comment

Damm, he called me Mr.

Comment

Plug chops? Would you be able to explain those to me?

Now, am I okay to ride the bike if I am idling high? I am able to turn it down with the idle screw when it's warm... Won't damage anything?

Comment

I would prefer to ride a bike with all the maintenance issues taken care of. There is enough to think about while riding without having to worry about worn out drive chains,misadjusted carbs, rotten brake hoses..etc. Besides being broken down on the side of the road sucks. When ever I put a bike on the road, I always take it for a number of short shake out runs to make sure everything is OK before going on a long trip. How confident are you in your bike? How reliable is it?

Comment

I completely understand you man. It's a reliable beast. I really enjoy riding it. There are no problems with it whatsoever beyond the high idle. I just hope that it's not working the engine very hard. I do plan on stripping it this winter, meaning after the next couple of weeks, and doing a bit of work on it. Aesthetics along with much needed carb work. I just want to make sure that I understand how to do the carbs correctly, and I definitely will follow the tutorial. The only things that stress me out a little bit are the settings with the jets and all of the fine tuning. I'm not to confident in doing that yet, but I'll have to educate myself on that so I'm able to understand how my machine really works and will be able to do it again in the future if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                          I would prefer to ride a bike with all the maintenance issues taken care of. ........... How confident are you in your bike? How reliable is it?
                          He's got confidence (or something) - remember what Staninator said...

" I am new to motorcycles and believe it or not, the first time I've ever ridden a real motorcycle was yesterday and I rode it 50 miles home. "

Hopefully, he will consider safety issues related to maintenance- like newer tires, etc.
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                          X