1981 GS1100E : What is the normal RPM at 100km/h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS1100E : What is the normal RPM at 100km/h

I took a 2h ride for the first time with my 1981 GS1100E tonight.
    It was extremely ruff in the city and small roads. I stalled my engen and could not start her using the starter, battery was dead, Have to test the stator/charging system, Did a compression start. Back on the road and time to hit the highway. Open the throttle.. what a rush but....

Q: Is it normal to be at 4000rpm for 100km/h? I felt like a 6th speed was available. But I'm a noob ride... I dont know what is normal on my bike . Are pistons going to come out the exhaust pips

Went all the way to 150km. Good enough for a noob on a killer bike.
    Back in the city the bike idles WAY better and about 95% of the stuttering is gone.

Q: Could it be that the piston heads/valve/spark plug be that dirty with carbon? I noticed there was some carbon deposits on the heads when fiddling around with the spark-plugs. I did not ask myself if it was normal or not.

Q: I'll check the heads again. If there are still somewhat dirty should I shoot them up with seafoam via the synchronizing holes?

It has a 4to1 exhaust. This bike is freaking loud! Even after repacking it.
    I might start wearing earplugs. And maybe put a couuple of pairs in each mailbox on my street

It's official I'm hooked on this bike!

What MPG of KML should I be getting?

Thank you.

Next time wind it out a little bit. They like that. Chugging like a little old lady at 4,000 RPM is for little old ladies.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What is"Wind it out a little bit" ?

I guess I'm a granny rider @ 4000rpm. Maybe I should start knitting socks while riding

Is it normal or the previous owner change something?

Comment

Originally posted by c&c View Post
        I took a 2h ride for the first time with my 1981 GS1100E tonight.
        It was extremely ruff in the city and small roads. I stalled my engen and could not start her using the starter, battery was dead, Have to test the stator/charging system, Did a compression start. Back on the road and time to hit the highway. Open the throttle.. what a rush but....

Q: Is it normal to be at 4000rpm for 100km/h? I felt like a 6th speed was available. But I'm a noob ride... I dont know what is normal on my bike . Are pistons going to come out the exhaust pips
        Yes, that is normal. The pistons usually begin to emerge around 11000rpm. You can put a 16 tooth sprocket on the front and it will lower it to around 3700rpm.

Went all the way to 150km. Good enough for a noob on a killer bike.
        Back in the city the bike idles WAY better and about 95% of the stuttering is gone.

Q: Could it be that the piston heads/valve/spark plug be that dirty with carbon? I noticed there was some carbon deposits on the heads when fiddling around with the spark-plugs. I did not ask myself if it was normal or not.

Q: I'll check the heads again. If there are still somewhat dirty should I shoot them up with seafoam via the synchronizing holes?
        No. What you need to do is wrap it out a couple of times to 8000 rpm through a couple of gears. This blows out the carbon that accumulates by pansy riding.

It has a 4to1 exhaust. This bike is freaking loud! Even after repacking it.
        I might start wearing earplugs. And maybe put a couuple of pairs in each mailbox on my street

It's official I'm hooked on this bike!
        You should be wearing earplugs anyway. It is a bit peppy, isn't it.

What MPG of KML should I be getting?

Thank you.
        40-45mpg depending on the weight the bike is carrying, your riding chracteristics, and city vs. hwy.

Comment

pansy riding. good one.

Comment

One mental note I had made with my 80' 1100e, was that at 75 mph, I was at an even 5000 rpm's. that is with 530 sprockets, 15t front and 43t rear. 2.866 ratio, i am changing to new sprockets 17front, 48 rear giving me 2.823ratio..
            My rpm's will slightly decrease. I know what you mean tho, its a powerful bike and feels like it could easily use a 6th, highway gear.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
              One mental note I had made with my 80' 1100e, was that at 75 mph, I was at an even 5000 rpm's. that is with 530 sprockets, 15t front and 43t rear. 2.866 ratio, i am changing to new sprockets 17front, 48 rear giving me 2.823ratio..
              My rpm's will slightly decrease. I know what you mean tho, its a powerful bike and feels like it could easily use a 6th, highway gear.
              Go watch motoGP or a Formula one race with the volume turned up, then go riding.

It will all become clear.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

moto-gp is loud,,,, I love the gp bikes they sound so sexy...

Comment

About 4000-4200 on mine.

Comment

They love rpm's. Click on the picture...
                    Curt
                    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Working...
                    X