No announcement yet.

Cold starting at 60 degrees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you clean the fuel passages in the float bowls? The one that supplies the choke with fuel?

Did you clean the air passages in the carburetor body that supply air to the choke?
    Something isn't right with your choke, it's hard to tell what it is from here.

I will guess you probably didn't dip the carburetors at all.

The getting tight every turn of the engine, that's called compression. It's a good thing.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I did dip the carbs but I'll recheck the bowl passages.

Compression even with no plugs in?

Comment

Originally posted by overboostin View Post
        I did dip the carbs but I'll recheck the bowl passages.

Compression even with no plugs in?

No, that's not it. How tight is it? Is it really hard to turn or just slightly tighter?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It's not super hard to turn but it's definitely noticeable with more force needing to be applied.

Comment

Choke doesn't seem to do much for me. Sometimes if it starts cold and is idling low ill pull the choke and it'll stall.
            I think the little hole at bottom of fuel bowl ( and tube going up bowl side) that feeds choke circuit is likely blocked on one or more carbs. Pulling up "choke" then just supplies air and not enough fuel. Typically on mine, during a cold start, adding more "choke" causes revs to jump up.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              I think the little hole at bottom of fuel bowl ( and tube going up bowl side) that feeds choke circuit is likely blocked on one or more carbs. Pulling up "choke" then just supplies air and not enough fuel. Typically on mine, during a cold start, adding more "choke" causes revs to jump up.

Ok cool ill pull off the carbs and check that tonight.

Anyone have any idea about the motor rotation?

Comment

Ok cool ill pull off the carbs and check that tonight.

Anyone have any idea about the motor rotation?
                I hope I get that excited when my carb pulling days arrive!
                Since this bike has been running ok, I'd ignore the "resistance" issue- plain bearing crank might feel "lumpy" without its oil cushion.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hold up there pilgrim... You said compression without the plugs in...If the starter is having a tough time spinning with no plugs, We have a problem... This was said about 6 posts ago. I am sure I read it wrong... but it sounds like electrical also. And I am no electrician. Just so we don't steer him wrong...
                  Curt

P.S. What I saw was in post #17... Tkent was on that track way before me... I'll stop babbling now...
                  Last edited by bellucci; 10-01-2012, 08:00 PM. Reason: slowness
                  sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

For the record, a GS should start instantly in pretty any temperature. These engines are not "cold blooded", whatever that means.

My personal record is 0 F.

Fork oil gets REALLY thick below about 20 F. But the bike ran great.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 10-02-2012, 09:34 AM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

OK, I will take a stab at explaining your crank's resistance "issue".

The crankshaft is a "flat" crank, meaning that all the throws are in a flat plane. With #1 at TDC (top dead center), #4 will also be at TDC, while #2 and #3 will be a BDC (bottom dead center). With the pistons in these positions, the crank will be able to move several degrees (40 or 50 or so) and the pistons won't move very far at all, because the crank throws are at the top and bottom. Now, rotate the crank about 90 degrees, and ALL the pistons will be moving as fast as they can, because the crank throws are perpendicular to the direction of piston travel. This will show up as "increased resistance" as you turn the crank. Turn the crank another 90 degrees, #1 and #4 will be at BDC, #2 and #3 will be at TDC and rotation will be easier.

Does that make more sense now?

Oh, forgot to add: this is normal. If you don't feel that resistance, you have other problems.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It makes perfect sense to me... well elucidated...
                        Curt
                        sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

great explanation, thanks!

Comment

cleaned the carbs again and i'm adjusting those few tight valves tomorrow. hopefully it fixes things up.

Comment

It has to open and close those valves... If you continue to have problems consider a new battery

Comment

Working...
                              X