clutch slippage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch slippage?

I noticed today when gettin on it that I think the clutch was slipping big time after shifting into 5th? other gears were fine...

make sure your clutch is adjusted . the lever should have free play in it.....

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
      make sure your clutch is adjusted . the lever should have free play in it.....
      +1 on that

also ever replace the clutch springs?

Comment

I will agree with the suggestion to check the adjustment first, then replace the springs, if that does not do the trick.

I will also go a step farther and suggest that you stick with OEM springs, not any heavy-duty ones from any manufacturer.

No need to drain the oil, just leave the bike on the center stand, pop the clutch cover off, change the springs, install the new gasket and put it back together.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I will agree with the suggestion to check the adjustment first, then replace the springs, if that does not do the trick.

I will also go a step farther and suggest that you stick with OEM springs, not any heavy-duty ones from any manufacturer.

No need to drain the oil, just leave the bike on the center stand, pop the clutch cover off, change the springs, install the new gasket and put it back together.

Wow, Thanks Steve, sounds like a quick repair. I did check the cable, it only has 12k on it too. Why would it not slip in other gears but 5th?

Comment

put it in 3rd or 4th at say 10-20 mph...
            pull in the clutch and pin the throttle then throw out the clutch lever.
            IT WILL SLIP.
            if a clutch in in good condition...the engine will just bog and not slip when performing the above instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by slyone View Post
              Wow, Thanks Steve, sounds like a quick repair. I did check the cable, it only has 12k on it too. Why would it not slip in other gears but 5th?

5th might make it work..my bike the clutch would give out at about 7k rpm an rev crazy high...mine was bad springs.

i did order the stiffer ones...it was a mistake...i took 3 of the new stiff ones out and left the other 3 the work out ones...bites great with a still stiff clutch..but not as bad as all 6....

an thanks old skool...i get looks and good comments all the time with it

also listen to steve...he's a wise one

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Do you mean the side stand?

Comment

I'll try it some more tomorrow, Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by slyone View Post
                    Why would it not slip in other gears but 5th?
                    A simple concept called "mechanical advantage".

In lower gears, the rear wheel does not provide as much resistance to the effort of the crankshaft, so the bike moves very easily.
                    In higher gears, each revolution of the crank is trying to move the bike farther down the road, so there is more resistance.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

mine was doing the same thing

adjusted the clutch

changed to new OEM springs

still same thing
                      slipping in 5th

put in new clutch discs and sanded down the metal plates

much better

Comment

Working...
                      X