Oil Leaking here, here, and there..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leaking here, here, and there..

Hi guys, I had been neglecting a slow leak on the bike, but now it's gotten worse so I took some engine degreaser to it to see if I could figure out the source. I found three spots where gaskets are leaking, but I don't want to take a socket to them just yet. Any suggestions on how to take care of this? Is it simply a matter of taking a torque wrench to the various bolts? Or might my gasket/s be bad? Old oil can't cause this right, it's due for one.

you could try retorquing the bolts but i doubt that would help. looks like you are going to need a full engine strip if you want to do the job properly, especially as there is a leak between the 2 crankcase halves.
    not good news i am afraid.....
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Are you sure about picture number three?

That's unfortunate, difficult to fix, and an uncommon place to spring a leak.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Are you sure about picture number three?

That's unfortunate, difficult to fix, and an uncommon place to spring a leak.
        I was kind of confused about that one, the liquid that came from that one looked like dirty water, possibly got there when I hosed the degreaser off. I let it dry over night, would water accumulate there?

Comment

I will vote yes.
          I just cleaned and power washed my engine to find a leak, rode the bike home over 3 miles and parked it hot.
          The next day I noticed tiny puddles had gathered on the bottom of rims, and found more little wet spots all in the fins of the engine.

Mine was only a valve cover gasket leak thankfully.

Tank

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
            I will vote yes.
            I just cleaned and power washed my engine to find a leak, rode the bike home over 3 miles and parked it hot.
            The next day I noticed tiny puddles had gathered on the bottom of rims, and found more little wet spots all in the fins of the engine.

Mine was only a valve cover gasket leak thankfully.

Tank
            I hope that is it, I'll take it out tomorrow and have another look. I don't want to get in over my head, I'm better at changing spark plugs than taking engines apart!

Comment

1100E isn't it?

I would look at the O rings on the front centre 2 head nuts first. Surprising where the oil ends up when they leak.
              Last edited by hampshirehog; 10-06-2012, 04:40 AM.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

My 1100 16 v leaked in the same spots,The first 2 cured with new gaskets after valve stem seals and,the 3rd i have yet to solve,seems only splitting cases this winter will fix it.I tried everything i could find to try and seal that one in the 3rd picture to no avail.

Comment

Yup, mine leaks in the same spot as #2 pic. and that gasket is SGP. Only a few months old.
                  I also have oil seeping very slowly from the cam chain tensioner, keeps my starter lubed I suppose.

Tank

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                    1100E isn't it?

I would look at the O rings on the front centre 2 head nuts first. Surprising where the oil ends up when they leak.
                    Yep, 82' 1100E, I'll take a look at those, although I'm pretty sure that at least pic 1 is a leak, I can see the oil bubbling out. On pic 2 the oil develops more slowly.

Comment

Working...
                    X