Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudden terrible noise

Bike was running fine then I started it up one morning and heard this:

Any idea what's causing it and how much of a bind I'm in?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2012, 02:32 PM.

Pull the valve cover and find out.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The cover was already off everything looked fine

Comment

Originally posted by overboostin View Post
        The cover was already off everything looked fine
        So you took cover off to investigate the noise, or you were working on the valves and the noise appeared after cover was reinstalled ??
        How about tach drive engagement?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by overboostin View Post
          Bike was running fine then I started it up one morning and heard this:

Any idea what's causing it and how much of a bind I'm in?
          Are you saying that it was fine when you put it away last time and on start up next time it made that noise?

That noise sounds expensive like a piston hitting the the head, take out the plugs and rotate the crank by hand and feel with a rod down the plug hole with the piston at mid point, there should be no lash back and foward on the crank spanner.
          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            So you took cover off to investigate the noise, or you were working on the valves and the noise appeared after cover was reinstalled ??
            How about tach drive engagement?
            Noise happened before I took the cover off.

Tach seems fine

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
              Are you saying that it was fine when you put it away last time and on start up next time it made that noise?

That noise sounds expensive like a piston hitting the the head, take out the plugs and rotate the crank by hand and feel with a rod down the plug hole with the piston at mid point, there should be no lash back and foward on the crank spanner.
              Yeah bike sat without making that noise then the next morning the noise started.

Comment

On start up, was the noise there instantly or did it come on over time? Even just a few seconds? That sounds like engine speed noise to me. (opposed to half speed indicating cam problems)
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

It was there instantly. Seem to run fine, parked it. Started up the next morning and it was there

Comment

Is the cover still off? Did you adjust the valves and loose a fastener due to lack of proper tightenening?

Comment

So it's definitely coming from the clutch area. Thoughts on what it could be? Noise is no different in gear or neutral

Comment

OK, pull the clutch cover and find out.

Maybe the big clutch hub nut fell off.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What did you ever find out about the noise?

Comment

Working...
                          X