dies with throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dies with throttle

just recently a few times while I was riding, my bike would hiccup on the highway...then a few times tipping it through a turn it would bog down.
    I didnt wanna get stranded, so I havent been riding the bike much. The other day i went to take it out- it would run with the choke on, but then would bog down if I took the choke off and gave it throttle. just ~BLEEEGGHHH~ when I hit the throttle. the rpms dropped.
    I messed with the air screw (the one you turn with your fingers) and that helped for a little bit, then it was turned clockwise all the way and I figured i had a problem.
    but now it wont even start, just turns over endlessly.

Carbs were rebuilt in August 2010, and since then I've run seafoam/carb cleaner at least 3 times between oil changes.

thanks for the input- I'm in brooklyn/manhattan if that helps!

The leaning over and bogg sounds like a carb cleaning to me even with your precautions.
    If others advise carb cleaning might be a good idea to pull off petcock drain gas through big funnel with paper towels to determine if gas is contaminated with rust or other debris.

Comment

i'm hoping it's not the carbs need cleaning,
      i'm going to see if I can get away with a seafoam carb spray "cleaning" first. Or if that will at least get me to a garage to store it for the winter!

if anyone is around NYC that could help me trouble shoot I'd be psyched

Comment

Originally posted by ArtByScars View Post
        i'm hoping it's not the carbs need cleaning,
        i'm going to see if I can get away with a seafoam carb spray "cleaning" first. Or if that will at least get me to a garage to store it for the winter!
        Don't hope- seafoam is not a cure all. see this guys post (scroll down to #33) - he bit the bullet and pull his carbs

Don't leave it for next spring!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

One thing about cleaning carbs is that if you have a contaminated gas tank, it will continue to cause problems. Of course you can use a clear fuel filter, too, and see if that gets contaminated quickly.
          If you aren't sure that the tank was clean before the carbs were, I would check that, as already mentioned by Crankthat.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
          1979 GS1000

Comment

Most likely clogged pilot jets, ESP. If you don't ride very often. These are very tiny jets in the Carb and will require a proper cleaning if the culprit. The big thing you turn by hand is the idle speed adjuster, and if set too high you won't be able to start. Try turning it out until it comes off the stop, then in 2 turns. You should be able to start it here anyway.
            Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

boggin while leaning sounds like the floats are adjusted wrong, but thats a newbies thought compare to the experts on here

Comment

Are the plugs fouled? Could be running rich and an indicator of your problem.

Comment

Low battery or debris in tank?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

Could be that either the pilot jets are plugged or the air intake system has developed leaks. Have you done all the maintenance for the intake system and carbs? Is the air box sealed? Are all the intake boots and intake boot O-rings in good shape (boots between the airbox/carbs and carbs/head)? Have you replaced the intake boot O-rings? If the bike has been sitting for a while then it is possible that the pilot jets are plugged. You can never go wrong with a proper cleaning and new set of carb O-rings.

My bike was running poorly recently and I couldn't figure out why until I did a close visual inspection of the intake system. It turns out that my airbox had somehow crept back away from the carbs and pulled a couple of the "airbox to carb" boots away from the carb intakes. This was causing a big air leak. I loosened everything up, slid everything back into place, tightened and re-clamped the boots to the carb intakes, and all was good to go.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

What air screw did you turn, anyway? I usually turn the thumbscrew on the cam chain tensioner when mine does that.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Hi,

Were you turning the main idle adjustment screw?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

yeah i was turning the main idle screw.

My bike started and ran with the petcock in this position.. it actually ran perfectly fine.
                          when I turned it back to the normal vertical position it cut out and would not start.

Comment

So you are running the motorcycle with the petcock in the "PRIME" position. This is always open.

Pointing down to "ON" is the vacuum actuated position, so the issue to sort out is why the petcock is not opening to allow gas flow in the "ON" position?

Contributing factors could be a blocked tank vent...plenty of threads here detailing that particular issue.

Also, on my 650G, the fuel pickup in the tank is really high, and I have to switch over to reserve very early, somewhere on the order of just under 1/2 tank. It'll act just the same as you are describing if I don't catch it early enough
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                              So you are running the motorcycle with the petcock in the "PRIME" position. This is always open.

Pointing down to "ON" is the vacuum actuated position, so the issue to sort out is why the petcock is not opening to allow gas flow in the "ON" position?

Contributing factors could be a blocked tank vent...plenty of threads here detailing that particular issue.

Also, on my 650G, the fuel pickup in the tank is really high, and I have to switch over to reserve very early, somewhere on the order of just under 1/2 tank. It'll act just the same as you are describing if I don't catch it early enough
                              yeah mine will start to cut out early as well, it doesn't even get near the red on the gauge and i need to switch it to reserve.
                              but beside that fact, since it runs on prime-that means the gas is not an issue and the fact that it run just fine in prime wouldn't necessarily mean the jets are plugged, right?
                              if anyone is around NYC, I'm off til friday

Comment

Working...
                              X