gs750e cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs750e cam

i went to do a valve adjustment and this is what i found when i took the valve cover off and i found that my valves were incredibly tight. enough that the valves are stuck open. my last adjustment was at the beginning of the season about 6000k ago. does anyone know if i can run the engine at this point or am i going to destroy the cam and followers. thx for any help you can offer. the intake cam is perfectly fine, its only the exhaust side that has issues. you can feel the wear marks if you run your finger nail over it as well.

You can run the engine and it won't hurt the cams or followers, but the valves and cylinder head valve seats will burn (more than they already are).

I'm confused as to why you are posting this instead of just adjusting the valves and eliminating the concern?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

6000k isn't enuff for them to tighten that much. Maybe your last adjustment was wrong or something else is going on. Burnt valves maybe?

Comment

Those cams are beginning to wear through the chrome type coating. They will wear and then wear the rocker pads. How do the pads look? If you were wearing cam lobes and pads you would have loose valve adjustments. For the sixteen valve 750 I'd put in at the very least an overhead oiler on the exhaust cam. Those engines eat them for breakfast.
        For you to have tight clearances after such a short time after an adjustment I'd check the valve seats and the actual valves themselves. They may be hammered.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yup, that model GS was the only one that wasn't bullet proof. Low oil pressure, or just bad flow. Suzuki has a service mod to shim the oil pressure relief spring. The guys in Australia had details on how much - .060" I think.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

When I did my 4 valve 750, I found there was an oil restrictor in the block to limit flow to the head. It could be drilled bigger for more oil to the head. Those split exhaust rockers on the 750 suck. I used two sets of intake rockers and an 1100 exhaust cam.
            I posted the fiche image in this thread:

Comment

valve train

thanks for all the info guys, surprised how much there is out there. i readjusted all of the valves to the book clearance of .005, rechecked and readjusted at least 5 times (lost count). my new cover gasket finally arrived today and i installed tonight... did an oil change at the same time and started it up. i heard a very loud clacking sound when the engine fired up, before i started it, i cranked the engine until i got oil pressure. i ran the engine a few times for a about 30 seconds each time hoping it was an oil flow problem but it has not got any quieter. i'm thinking a valve or two with excess clearance (although i'm not sure how that could be). But tomorrow i guess i will take it apart again and see if there is anything loose or obvious... starting to really worry about engine damage. still pretty new to valves and valve train. thanks for all your help guys, feel like throwing a guess out there?

Comment

where did you take your measurment?

if its between the valve stem and screws your fine.

If you measured 0.005 between the cam and rocker then you will have 1.5 x 0.005 between the valve stem and screw.
                Stephen.
                1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                  where did you take your measurment?

if its between the valve stem and screws your fine.

If you measured 0.005 between the cam and rocker then you will have 1.5 x 0.005 between the valve stem and screw.
                  when i put the feeler gauge into the gap between the valve and the screw, how much resistance should there be when inserting or pulling out. i'm thinking i may have them a tad bit too loose. when i did them before i didn't really have any resistance to speak of. just trying to get by for the time being but as of now the bike has a hard time starting which has also changed for the worse in the time that it's been back together.

Comment

Originally posted by mits6dr5 View Post
                    when i put the feeler gauge into the gap between the valve and the screw, how much resistance should there be when inserting or pulling out. i'm thinking i may have them a tad bit too loose. when i did them before i didn't really have any resistance to speak of. just trying to get by for the time being but as of now the bike has a hard time starting which has also changed for the worse in the time that it's been back together.
                    You want just enough resistance to where the feeler gauge has some drag coming out.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

thx, i will recheck them.

Comment

Tight enough so that the next thou higher feeler gauge wont fit through but the one you want does fit through with a little dragging.

IF the next one or two up fits then keep adjusting.

On mine to start off with I put the gauge in and tighten the screw down lightly until it touches the gauge just as a starting point. Usually the gauge slides out and the next size up doesn't fit.
                        Stephen.
                        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                        GS twin wiki

Comment

Unfortunately the 16 valve 750 engine is NOT bullit proof like the it's brethren engines. The valve train is weak at best... This happened to me within 2000 miles of a 4x checked valve adjustment. It started to tick really soft, and like an a$$ I thought it was "the cam walk". You want to make extra sure everything is PERFECT before putting serious mileage to it.

The amazing this is that I've since readjusted, and have put 5000 miles on it since I've discovered this issue. And it runs great and doesn't make a sound...
                          '83 GS 1100T
                          The Jet

sigpic
                          '95 GSXR 750w
                          The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                          X