Cometic Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cometic Gasket

Anyone have any thoughts on this product? Powersportplus along with many other shops are selling this and I've never heard of this multi layer stainlews steel head gasket company before.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

If I may clarify so those more qualified may answer correctly:
    You are asking about a Cometic MLS head gasket, correct?

I run a Cometic head gasket on my GPz, but it is not an MLS.
    I used Cometic gaskets on the lower end of the GS, but not a head gasket.

Comment

Yes, the MLS head gasket. I guess it doesn't help I spelled stainless wrong. I was looking specifically at the head gasket but if anyone like yourself has experience with their other gaskets I'd like to hear about those too. I know, I know it is never a good idea to go with anything other than OEM for the base and head gaskets and o-rings, I just haven't heard of this company before and noticed a bunch of race shops are selling them as well.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

they come as standard with Wiseco forged big bore kits. i think Wiseco recommend them
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          they come as standard with Wiseco forged big bore kits. i think Wiseco recommend them
          Yup. I have the Cometic (graphite?) head gasket on my GPz 810cc Wiseco big bore kit. I used their lower (case) gasket set on the GS. High quality, no issues, no leaks.

Comment

I have their head gasket on my bike since the 850 conversion. So far, so good.

Comment

The MLS is the best thing out there.
              Speed Merchant
              http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

They will also custom make them for your application

Comment

Inspect it carefully when you get it. The Cometic MLS head gasket I received direct from the factory must have been made by the intern on a Friday afternoon, or perhaps on a hung over, half asleep Monday morning. Holes were misplaced, incorrectly sized, and the thing wasn't even flat. Seriously -- it was bowed up by 15mm or so, even though it was attached to a stout piece of cardboard by shrink wrap.

Over on the KLR forum, Cometic gaskets are well-known to leak, every time.

Of course, they're pretty much the only option for non-stock bores, and some of their product lines, like the MLS head gaskets for 1100/1150 Big Jay mentioned, have a decent reputation.

Let's just say at best, Cometic product quality is highly variable.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Did they replace it for you?

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      Did they replace it for you?
                      I ordered directly from Cometic. When I called to complain about the POS I received, the guy I talked to said it it would flatten out and got quite shirty with me on the phone. When I told him some of the stud holes were misplaced and the edge of the cam chain tunnel hole was all bent and wibbly, he started yammering about their factory patterns and high quality and all the racers who use their gaskets without problem, and I must not have installed very many gaskets because I didn't know what the hell I was talking about... I just hung up.

I was in a hurry and installed it anyway. Had to use a Dremel to make it fit.

Whaddya know. It leaked.

Lesson learned. Factory only for me from now on.

To be fair, I will say that the gasket I needed (8 valve GS750/850) was not a normal stock item. They only produce these when they're ordered. I suspect that there's a vast difference between this gasket and the far more common GS1100/1150/etc. and KZ gaskets they sell a lot of.
                      Last edited by bwringer; 10-24-2012, 02:44 PM.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

To be fair, I will say that the gasket I needed (8 valve GS750/850) was not a normal stock item. They only produce these when they're ordered. I suspect that there's a vast difference between this gasket and the far more common GS1100/1150/etc. and KZ gaskets they sell a lot of.
                        Brian, the current OEM head gaskets for the GS 850, 1000 and 1100's are all the same MLS gasket. It is a 73 mm bored 5 layer stainless gasket and very good quality. I haven't experienced any leaks yet and have put 22k kms on my one. Torqued to 30 ft lbs, stock studs and running 10.5-1 CR. No worries!
                        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
                          Brian, the current OEM head gaskets for the GS 850, 1000 and 1100's are all the same MLS gasket. It is a 73 mm bored 5 layer stainless gasket and very good quality. I haven't experienced any leaks yet and have put 22k kms on my one. Torqued to 30 ft lbs, stock studs and running 10.5-1 CR. No worries!

I know this is an old thread, but is that only for 8V engines? I wonder if the 1100G (8V) and 1100E (16V) use the same head gasket? The OEM head gasket is about $120 if I remember, and Cometic's off the shelf offerings are half that price and are reputable & good quality at least on the more popular big bore gasket kits, so I am thinking of ordering a Cometic stock bore GS1100 head gasket (72mm pistons/73mm bore gasket) and GS850 base gasket. I'll be running a kickstart-only GS750 bottom end, GS850 cylinders bored from 69mm to 72mm to fit some old MTC 920cc pistons, GS750 cams and head.

Cometic doesnt list GS1100E vs GS1100G, and I assume they are targeting the 16V models more due to all the 16V big bore kits.
                          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                          '79 GS425stock
                          PROJECTS:
                          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                            I know this is an old thread, but is that only for 8V engines? I wonder if the 1100G (8V) and 1100E (16V) use the same head gasket? The OEM head gasket is about $120 if I remember, and Cometic's off the shelf offerings are half that price and are reputable & good quality at least on the more popular big bore gasket kits, so I am thinking of ordering a Cometic stock bore GS1100 head gasket (72mm pistons/73mm bore gasket) and GS850 base gasket. I'll be running a kickstart-only GS750 bottom end, GS850 cylinders bored from 69mm to 72mm to fit some old MTC 920cc pistons, GS750 cams and head.

Cometic doesnt list GS1100E vs GS1100G, and I assume they are targeting the 16V models more due to all the 16V big bore kits.
                            Chuck

The stud spacing on the 16V motor differs from the 8V motor, so the gaskets are not the same
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                              Chuck

The stud spacing on the 16V motor differs from the 8V motor, so the gaskets are not the same
                              To phrase in different words: Yes, they are targeting the 16 valve engines, not the 8 valve engines. You will have to go OEM for a solution.

Comment

Working...
                              X