Not sure if clutch bad or poorly adjusted 79 gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if clutch bad or poorly adjusted 79 gs750

So my clutch window is like on existent. It begins to engage almost fully extended and took me a while to learn to operate. Maybe 2mm play. But she grabs hard and acceleration usually has no slips. Although WOT 1>2nd slips a lot when I shift and occasionally say in 3rd gear at 4k I give her anything over half throttle and it will slip a little and I let off and it becomes fully engaged again. No smell ever. Any thoughts?

worm gear.

Comment

Cheapest and easiest first try is the springs. OEM, because the others are ridiculously stiff unless your drag racing. Make sure the cable is adjusted and lubed also.

Comment

Refreshing the Worm Gear Quick, Easy, Cheap

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
        worm gear.
        First, remove your footpeg and shift lever. Now remove the sprocket cover. Disconnect the cable.
        Now, in the sprocket cover you will see two phillips screws holding the mechanism onto the sprocket cover. Remove those. If you have an impact screwdriver this is an ideal time to use it. Now pull out the worm mechanism and take it apart (it unscrews). It is most likely all gunked up. Clean it very thoroughly and re-grease it. Marine grease is best; available everywhere.
        Put it back together and re-install it, making sure that the part the cable slips into is vertical.
        Tighten it down. At this point, you really should lube your clutch cable. It is an ideal time and you will not have to do it again for a while. Disconnect it at the handlebars and drip some oil down it or spray some lube down it. Make sure it slides freely.
        Pull the clutch rod out (the part sticking out of the transmission and check it for straightness. Roll it on a smooth surface (glass is best) and look for bumps, rolling sideways, anything that does not look right. If it checks out, re-insert it into the transmission.
        Now, you are ready to re-assemble. The clutch pushrod slips into the center of the worm assembly.
        Slide the sprocket cover onto the shifter shaft and toward the engine cases. Bolt her up, adjust it, install the shifter and the footpeg and you should be GTG.

Comment

Working...
        X