Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 750 - is this starter clutch noise? (VIDEO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 750 - is this starter clutch noise? (VIDEO)

Hey all,

Been trying to diagnose what this rattling noise is on the bike - sounds like its coming from behind the alternator cover, of course on the left side of the bike. I have searched the forums but still having trouble narrowing it down. I'm also fairly new to these bikes and am not sure of what the usual noises are. It only happens when its idling, doesn't matter if its in gear or not, but when I increase the throttle and let off the clutch it disappears entirely.

Check out the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUvD6IV1sEY

thanks for your help,

Sean

Could be,or might be stator screw that fell out, best to pull cover and go exploring.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hmmm, mine sounded like that at one time. I had just replaced the stator and heard that noise. I pulled the cover off and had gotten a screw in weird and the flywheel was rubbing it. No damage, just a scrapped up screw which I replaced.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks for your replies, I'll probably take off the cover if I can today and take a look. Hopefully I'll spot something, it's just strange that it only does it while idling..

Comment

It probably does it at other RPMs you just dont hear it over the motor...

Comment

Originally posted by matt1100 View Post
            It probably does it at other RPMs you just dont hear it over the motor...
            That's what I thought at first but it definitely goes away. If you look at the video you can see that as I move forward even the smallest amount the noise clears up... I've also listened at higher RPMs and everything sounds smooth.

Comment

Working...
            X