Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS1000E Clutch friction plates and wear

Just a few quick questions if you could help me

Just stripping down the clutch on my Suzuki GS1000E 1980 model at present. Prior to doing so it was nearly impossible to get back into neutral from first gear with the clutch in at idle. What should I be looking for please.

I am having the basket modded with the Falicon heavy duty kit due to rattling springs on the standard setup.

Is there a way of determining if the friction plates are beyond their service limit.

I have read on the forum from a few people that the OEM clutch springs are the way to go, at present I have heavy duty springs fitted.

Originally posted by gs79 View Post
    Just a few quick questions if you could help me

Just stripping down the clutch on my Suzuki GS1000E 1980 model at present. Prior to doing so it was nearly impossible to get back into neutral from first gear with the clutch in at idle. What should I be looking for please.

I am having the basket modded with the Falicon heavy duty kit due to rattling springs on the standard setup.

Is there a way of determining if the friction plates are beyond their service limit.

I have read on the forum from a few people that the OEM clutch springs are the way to go, at present I have heavy duty springs fitted.
    The heavy springs are probably partly the cause of your problem, look also for worn notches in the clutch basket where the plates ride against it.

Measure the thickness of the clutch plates, there is a minimum thickness in the manual. Also check for warped steel plates.

There are pictures of the wear notches in the manual too.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Many thanks for the reply. I will check the clutch basket and will be changing back to OEM springs. Do you know if the manual is available online

Comment

measurements can be fine but if the material is hard/charred...the clutch will slip with stock springs.
        measure all you want but this sheet is old with many heat cycles.
        if this is the case mix a half set of gold barnett's and half set of used stock springs.
        or maybe a new set of 1150 springs...just depends on riding habits.

Comment

I am in the UK, and GS1000 parts are mega hard to find. Where are the best places for purchasing friction plates and OEM springs please

Comment

there are drag racer's in the UK..big names..maybe google.
            just saying i bet those guys either have or know where to get whatever you want.

Comment

clutch discs

Hi GS79. You could try robinsons foundry here in UK. They have an online parts list with prices and availability.
              Hope that helps. And also to get your rotor bolt or nut loose i always use an impact gun.
              Cheers Dennis.
              My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot :eagerness: and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Hi Dennis, thank you for the reply my friend, will give Robinsons a try. Is the impact gun a compressed air tool?

Comment

Hi Dennis, thank you for the reply my friend, will give Robinsons a try. Is the impact gun a compressed air tool?
                  It can be air or electric.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Many thanks for the reply. I will check the clutch basket and will be changing back to OEM springs. Do you know if the manual is available online
                    Check your megawelcome (you did get one?)

Basscliff has a service manual on his site

If you think the friction plates are original, replacement will help as they do harden with age, as Terry says

If the steel plates are flat, they're good to go

Stock springs to start, if it slips, swap in 3 of your heavy duty ones

IDK if Boulevard ships to the UK, check with them

1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      Check your megawelcome (you did get one?)

Basscliff has a service manual on his site

If you think the friction plates are original, replacement will help as they do harden with age, as Terry says

If the steel plates are flat, they're good to go

Stock springs to start, if it slips, swap in 3 of your heavy duty ones

IDK if Boulevard ships to the UK, check with them

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=202134
                      A mega thanks Big T for the info my friend

Comment

A mega thanks Big T for the info my friend
                        Well, it's not mine, it's courtesy of BassCliff
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Here's the latest my friends, just got the clutch basket back today with the Falicon heavy duty kit fitted. Just now waiting for the new EBC friction plates, then going with 3 heavy duty springs and 3 standard springs, to see how she feels.

Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2012, 05:24 PM. Reason: Picture too big

Comment

Working...
                          X