my new used V&H bilet Basket and kit. Clutch wont disengage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my new used V&H bilet Basket and kit. Clutch wont disengage

Hey guys. Got a billet V&H clutch basket with heavy duty rear springs and welded rivets to the drive back plate for my 1150ES.I also installed a new gasket and cable. After the install I noticed the bike would not disengage the clutch. The adjusters are at their max settings and still the clutch will not disengage... Any opinions why it would do this? its a used unit and grooves were minimal from the contact fibers definitely not as bad as the grooves on my stock basket. Fibers are definitely not OEM and the springs are half performance half stock. Any insight would be awesome thanks. I've done a couple clutches in the past and no issues like this.
    Any insight would be great thanks!
    Jedz Moto
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2002 Honda Reflex 250
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
    2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
    Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Is the arm on top of the clutch cover In the right position? That would be my guess. Pull it off the shaft and turn it a few teeth. Should take care of your maxed out adjusters and your disengagement.
    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

If the clutch shaft lever arm moves when pulling the clutch lever it may be as simple as Flatline has said - the clutch rack-shaft isn't seated against the pressure plate. Remove the clutch shaft lever arm, rotate the shaft until you feel the rack-shaft engage the pressure plate and then reinstall the lever arm at the correct angle for the cable clevis.

If the clutch lever arm is stuck and won't budge, then there are bigger problems that will require careful disassembly to find out what didn't go together right when you installed the clutch assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
        Hey guys. Got a billet V&H clutch basket with heavy duty rear springs and welded rivets to the drive back plate for my 1150ES.I also installed a new gasket and cable. After the install I noticed the bike would not disengage the clutch. The adjusters are at their max settings and still the clutch will not disengage... Any opinions why it would do this? its a used unit and grooves were minimal from the contact fibers definitely not as bad as the grooves on my stock basket. Fibers are definitely not OEM and the springs are half performance half stock. Any insight would be awesome thanks. I've done a couple clutches in the past and no issues like this.
        Any insight would be great thanks!
        was this an ebay purchase?
        i was watching one last week with a clutch pack went for 306.00
        so is your bike direct drive?
        put it in gear and it dies?
        call me...i'm up till midnight EST.
        terry

Comment

flat line & homie
          Yup the clutch is in the correct position. The arm was tight when I installed it. I've done this job a couple of times and I had the Suzuki Manual out while I was doing it to be sure.. Free movement in the lever and lever arm.

Terry
          Yup that was me I purchased the whole bit. figured the Billet basket was nice to have.Did I accidentally buy a lockup system???

Not sure by by direct drive however yes I put into gear no matter how much the clutch lever is suppressed and she goes into gear and stalls the bike. Hit the starter in gear and the bike lurches forward.

Finished the 7-11 swap last night so I wasn't on the forum to read till now. Like I said I've done clutch jobs a couple of times on these bikes and never had this issue so i know I'm doing it correctly. Kinda took a break from it. Now that the 750 is done I'm back on the 1150ES
          Jedz Moto
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2002 Honda Reflex 250
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Sounds like something is not assembled correctly. Too much static pack height maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
              flat line & homie
              Yup the clutch is in the correct position. The arm was tight when I installed it. I've done this job a couple of times and I had the Suzuki Manual out while I was doing it to be sure.. Free movement in the lever and lever arm.

Terry
              Yup that was me I purchased the whole bit. figured the Billet basket was nice to have.Did I accidentally buy a lockup system???

Not sure by by direct drive however yes I put into gear no matter how much the clutch lever is suppressed and she goes into gear and stalls the bike. Hit the starter in gear and the bike lurches forward.

Finished the 7-11 swap last night so I wasn't on the forum to read till now. Like I said I've done clutch jobs a couple of times on these bikes and never had this issue so i know I'm doing it correctly. Kinda took a break from it. Now that the 750 is done I'm back on the 1150ES

dude you NEED TO CALL ME!
              that basket will not fit in your bike!
              it has 2 less teeth on it!

PLUS I KNOW WHY IT IS DIRECT DRIVE!
              i have done all i can do.
              up till midnight EST.

Comment

83 1100E and all 1150's have a narrow sleeve hub and an added shim.
                ALSO!!
                if you do not have the shim or if shim is on wrong side and if you DO NOT HAVE the basket and oil pump gear matched UP...YOU WILL HAVE DIRECT DRIVE!
                YOU WILL HAVE TO USE THE BILLET IN THE 1100 project(87 TEETH)
                1150 (89 TEETH) CAUTION BAD SHEET IS GONNA HAPPEN!
                THIS WILL PEEL THE TEETH OFF YOUR CRANK AND NEW BASKET!
                Last edited by blowerbike; 11-26-2012, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Roger Terry. I'll shoot you a call when I can, hitting the Hay exhausted... I won't run it from now on. Oil pressure is fine in the bike. I'll take it out ASAP tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2002 Honda Reflex 250

Comment

oil pump will still turn as it may be jammed against the basket but not in the slots.
                    the key is......
                    before removing the basket...unload all the plates.
                    the inner hub should turn...if it does not then the shim is in the wrong place or the basket is not seated in the oil pump gear.
                    either way your 2 teeth short on the basket.
                    i have seen people run them and pull the teeth off the crank and basket gear.
                    they was like...well it fit ok...DUHH
                    now if you try an 1150 basket in an 1100...won't go...to many teeth.

Comment

I put an 1150 crank in my 1100 and had to get an 1150 clutch basket.
                      Please don't ruin your crank.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Just because the seller tells you it will fit doesn't mean it is true

Comment

the auction stated (((GS1100E)))

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                            the auction stated (((GS1100E)))
                            You should trade him for that good 1150 basket you have.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              You should trade him for that good 1150 basket you have.
                              nooooo.
                              i would only cheat YOU!
                              anyways he needs to lose that racing clutch pack...bad news.
                              put the billet in the 7/11 and get john to do his 1150 basket.
                              did i mention he needs to get a stock clutch pack?

Comment

Working...
                              X