• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang and it not even Friday yet.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Spend your money anyway you want to.. Theres just too much "word play" out there is all my point is Blower. Metal all has to be smelted and blended at the foundry and cast. You cant go out and dig up or mine for "BILLETS" . Now the "SPECIFIC BLENDINGS" in different grades of metals is another story. This will of course effect the strength of metals. But the actual meaning of the word BILLET is of no consequence at all..it just means one piece of a block of material.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

chuck i gave you the benefit of the doubt on the word "billet" getting slung around mostly just to sell parts but.... there is a need at time's for a better quality of material.
        the end..............

Comment

Yes I agree..in such applications as you guys that are drag racing and what not..yes you need a material BLENDED to be of a better strength and durability. But as far as the general guy thats just riding a street bike, they think "WOW!!! Thats a Billet part!! It MUST be better than then stock stuff!" Well, thats just pure grain fed horsechit.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Plus it's for an 1150
            I was aware of that chef. I was referring to the "super hub" comment.
            2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
            1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
            2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
            s)

Comment

Billet is far superior to cast parts and more expensive because of machining time and the waste alu left over:
              Billets are pure alloys specially treated:

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
                i was aware of that chef. i was referring to the "super hub" comment.

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hmm a cast spar or billet. I go for billet every time I buy a spar.
                  EVERYTIME!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Like i said, BILLET simply means ONE PIECE or a BLOCK of whatever material. It nothing sopecial as far as the metals make up or properties goes. Just a fancy "trick" word really.
                    Yea but that BLOCK of BILLET is formed by some sort of rolling operation and the metals grain structure is oriented in a stronger and more ductile arrangement than that of cast metal.

Cast<BILLET<FORGED
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                    X