• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil ?

what type of oil should i run 1980 gs850g

also the 850 was a wet clutch system right

Comment

You don't need to run oil in your 156RWHP GS that runs 160MPH with no front brakes. It will splii out of those gaping holes in the crankcase that are caused when you twist it up to 14000 RPM!

Yes, it is a wet-clutch. You should have noticed that when you and your buddy were building that beast. If you can launch it at 6000 RPMs, you HAD to have done some major clutch modifications.

Comment

wow why is every one being rude my buddy built her i just own her now cuz he bought a harley so i just trying to intoduce my self and get some help

Comment

Many here use a diesel engine rated oil, like Rotella 15-40. There are numerous threads on motor oil, if you wish to do a search. From the GSR Greeting page:

A Few Words About Oil
          I'll tell you what I use and why. I use Rotella-T Heavy Duty 15w40 oil. It is actually diesel engine oil and contains more anti-wear additives, phosphorous and zinc, that these older high-revving engines love. At about $12 a gallon from Wal-Mart, it's less than half the price of many motorcycle-specific oils, and is the best "bang for your buck" value. The synthetic Rotella-T is just fine too, it won't hurt your clutch. If you like, continue reading the links below for everything you ever wanted to know about oil but were afraid to ask.

Here's a great article on motorcycle-specific oil in general.
          Here's a 2nd great article, also on motorcycle-specific oil.
          Sport Rider Magazine ran a feature awhile back on motorcycle oils as well, and included some testing with detailed results provided. Well worth the read!
          Sport Rider "Oil's Well That Ends Well" Part 1
          Sport Rider "Oil's Well That Ends Well" Part 2
          Richard Wildman (of Richard's Corvair) explains in layman's terms all about grades, viscosity, shear, additives, specs, etc.
          Richard's Corvair - Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair and Other Engines

And, of course, Bob the Oil Guy is a fountain of information.
          1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

Originally posted by skinner1790 View Post
            wow why is every one being rude my buddy built her i just own her now cuz he bought a harley so i just trying to intoduce my self and get some help
            WHY??? because you come onto this site boasting that you have some awesome beast based on a shaftie 850 with doubtful RWHP, suspect top speed accusations, you say you and your buddy built the engine yet you seem to know nothing about it, the bike has no brakes at all and you have no proof to back up any of your wild statistics.
            we all like upgraded and tuned bikes on this site but we hate B/Shi**ers.
            there are a few guys on here that build BIG GS motors and know what they are doing and what is doable and what isnt from a GS850 motor and quite frankly they are all laughing at you at the moment.
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I use the Rotella-T also. Diesel oil has better additives for both the wet clutch and the shear factor of the wet transmission.

Comment

Troll bait.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

how am i troll bait

Comment

How old are you?

Comment

I'm gonna turn my Nitrous dial up some so I can get 156RWHP!!
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Wa-What?
                        I'll smoke your Azz on my 850 Cafe special. It's a limited production factory bike.

Mine is pushing 200hp and 179 torque.
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                          Wa-What?
                          I'll smoke your Azz on my 850 Cafe special. It's a limited production factory bike.

Mine is pushing 200hp and 179 torque.
                          yeah but i bet you have brakes on your bike. more weight and drag up front may give his 850 the edge!
                          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hi,

Mr. skinner1790, if you'd like to learn about your GS850G, may I suggest that you start reading the links I sent you? Or click the link to my website (down there in my sig file) and start with the READ ME page. You'll find a factory manual and just about everything you need to know about the care and feeding of a GS850G. It's all right there in one handy spot.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

And then comes the voice of reason...and politeness... BassCliff. I race a 1327cc bike at the local track. I use Rotella. I ride a Gs1100es that donated the 1327cc motor. I put Rotella in the motor that was in the dragbike when I got it. I also ride a Harley Fatboy. I did not use Rotella in it. It is now in pieces while I buy a new cam due to the needle bearings giving up the ghost last summer. I am going to use Rotolla in that bike also... a quick note for you,the guys on this site are real knowlegeable. You can't bullshirt them... Give them the real facts and they will bend over backwards to help. And there is my 2...cents that is..
                              Curt
                              sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Working...
                              X